Craigslist SCORE

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Found a guy parting out his 87 6.9, and he mentioned he had a banks power pack lid, so I called him, we were talking then he's like "you got the same truck?" yup, " you can have the AC compressor and lines, alternator, vacuum pump, eight brand new bosch glow plugs, injection pump(reman) with hard lines and gear cover(with tach) and both fuel tanks with sending units and fuel in them, and the whole air cleaner assembly, for $125 bucks cash:thumbsup: heck ya I flew over there and got the stuff;Sweet. and TO ALL NA 6.9/7.3 owners without a Banks power pack lid, If you have the opportunity to get one do it, it made a hug difference in the sound(quieter), throttle response(much better), and low end performance(;burnout). Long winded I know but I'm way to excited about the whole deal.:thumbsup: before after 0-60. before 14.37, with banks lid 13.06. its a big difference I know but it feels like it's accurate.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you saying your truck runs a 13.06 in the quarter mile?

I gotta see a time slip.

matt-jenkins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got a banks lid on my truck, it was on there when I got it, I had no idea how desirable these things are!

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a Banks Air Cleaner if somebody wants one. Don't know what the wily old junkyard dawg that runs the place would get for it, but a service I would gladly perform for any interested OB friend!

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That lid is all fine and dandy, but what about the filter elements - I was reading on here a while back that they are real expensive and hard to find, is that still the case?

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get a Banks Air Cleaner if somebody wants one. Don't know what the wily old junkyard dawg that runs the place would get for it, but a service I would gladly perform for any interested OB friend!

I just PMed you. I want that if you can get it. I have been through a divorce and extended time out of work (back to work for about a month now) and am just beginning to get back on my feet- so I'm not in a position to pay through the nose- but some opportunities are worth trying to catch.

Thanks- let me know either way!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Fail, the filter needs to be about 3/4's of an inch taller. I'll just make a spacer for it.

Your engine will thank you if you put the paper one back in. If you insist on running the K&n you would be wise to go with the old API diesel change interval of 1500 miles or get one of the foam oiled filter wraps that K&N makes to go around those things to actually make them do something.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
Your engine will thank you if you put the paper one back in. If you insist on running the K&n you would be wise to go with the old API diesel change interval of 1500 miles or get one of the foam oiled filter wraps that K&N makes to go around those things to actually make them do something.

Please fill me in on this subject, it sounds like the k&n doesn't filter as well:dunno, would I loose any performance by swapping to paper filters?, what's API?????

Please excuse my negligence

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Please fill me in on this subject, it sounds like the k&n doesn't filter as well:dunno, would I loose any performance by swapping to paper filters?, what's API?????

Please excuse my negligence

API, American Petrolium Institute, as in the folks who decide how long petrolium products are good for, as in dino oil change intervals.
THe old basic change interval in a diesel without bypass filtration was 1500 miles. K&N filters let a ton of dirt in, by their own admission they only filter to about 98% of the efficiency of a factory filter, 2% is a LOT of dirt over time. I did some experimenting a while back one afuel efficiency engine with a K&N on it and found that I had to change the oil filters 3 times as often on the thing ( very easy to tell when the bypass filter would clog, it would run cool). That is a massive amount of dirt. I left the K&n on because it was a fuel effeciency test engine and I wasnt concerned about the dirt, that's what I had the bypass filter on there for.
Would you loose any performance, yes, but your engine will last a lot longer.
n You can get an oiled foam wrap from K&n that fits around the gauze that will bring the thing up to acceptable filtration levels . Oiled foam is a pretty darn good filtration media , but once you add that it will get the restriction up to near that of a factory filter, but you do retain the ability to clean the thing. They make 2 kinds of wraps, they make one that is basically a nylon sock that is pretty worthless, the oiled foam is the good one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online