Converting from 7.3 IDI to 7.3 Powerstroke

jonmatthews96

1990 Ford 7.3 IDI
Reaction score
I have 1990 7.3 IDI that the head gaskets went and I have a bad feeling the rings went too. How hard is it to swap a Powerstroke into it? like the Computer. Its also got the ZF5 in it.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Never done this before.... but since you are wanting to do the swap, the easiest would be to find a COMPLETE 7.3PSD doner truck. You will need the engine, the PSD wiring, the instrument cluster and all the wiring (since the PSD only came in the OBS body, and you have a Bricknose, some have changed the entire dash, since the instrument clusters do not directly swap). PCM, and I am sure there are some things that I am missing.

One other 7.3PSD option would find the T444E flavor in an IH (Navistar) medium duty truck. The PCM is self contained and mounted to the rocker cover in these, instead of integrated into the truck like in the Pickups.

In all honesty, if you are wanting this truck to run again, it would be easier to rebuild, or find a good replacement IDI and drop it back in. The only thing the 7.3IDI and 7.3PSD share is engine displacement. Baring a select few parts, nothing in the 2 engines are the same......

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As said,you will need a complete donor vehicle.the donor will also have to have all the same options as your truck.if yours has power windows,the donor must have power windows.

You need to change the dash harness and underhood/headlight harness.with your truck being a 90 you will also need to use the 92-97 dashboard steering column and wing windows in the doors.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
Use the search button... the are several of these on here and elsewhere.

direwulf23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seriously, you'd be better off just finding a PSD and selling this truck to finance part of it. IMHO. Unless the truck has so special meaning to you and you don't want to part with this truck. If that's the case dropping another IDI in it would be the best option, again IMHO.

1994 Ford F250, 2wd, 7.3L IDI, NA, E4OD

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use the search button... the are several of these on here and elsewhere.

You guys trying to scare off new members?if everybody used the search instead of posting this would be a boring place as every concievable problem and idi topic has been covered here.

kuskoal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cummins swap! Just because it would be simpler because they both are mechanical so everything is adaptable

oregon96psd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^what he said, or the t444e route. Thats what i've got planned for mine, then the adaptor plate off the back of a psd and the front accessories, should go right in then.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easiest way to swap a PSD into an IDI truck, complete engine and front clip and cab swap...may as well by a stroke then.

Do a DT 366 swap or cummins or fix what you got.

SEARCH is your friend here BTW

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
User BigRigTech did the swap.

Ive done it to.done 460 to idi,idi to psd,psd to idi,psd to gas,idi to gas.

Its not hard to do just time consuming especially for those that arent the best mechanics.

The hard part is finding a donor that matches your truck.if yours has PW,PL,AC,4X4,AUTOMATIC.your donor must have all those options as well.you cant use that very well maintained base model truck that the local town is selling cheap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online