Confession......

Jamie

Reaction score
Over and over I read negative reviews on Autolite GP's and anything other than Beru and Motorcraft. Well, the parts store where I work is an Autolite dealer so I had to find out for myself..... It looks as though I should have listened.

After only three months, and less than one thousand miles I have multiple failed glow plugs it appears. It was too cold out so I cut corners and did a preliminary test with the test light rather than checking resistance. Three out of the four that I checked showed absolutely nothing. I was too angry to check any further.

I guess this sheds light on no starting which had recently developed.

At the same time I installed the plugs, I went ahead and installed a new controller as well. Is it possible the GP failure is a result of a controller failure?

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Not likely with that solid state GP system your truck should have. I've never seen one cause lock in the ON position.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How do you like your crow, medium , or well done :D
Don't feel bad, I felt the same way about Bosch plugs. I work on European diesels and the things last for years in those things. Got a week out of them in my truck :hail :hail :hail to the collective wisdom ;Sweet

------Robert

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
I used to think the OEM Motorcraft plugs were Bosch too, but they're not, they are Beru.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
All 64 of my "extra" Motorcraft say Beru on the sides..... Having lots-o-spares is a good thing...:D

RKOCH

Fellow Oil Burner
Reaction score
I'm holding a set right now that say BOSCH on them they did use different venders from time to time. The new set I just got @ the Ford dealer say BOSCH on them.

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its all about who can make the part the cheapest. Ford is really bad at that, they dont care who makes it and if its any good, they just want it for cost or under that, and EXPECT it to be good.
As far as Autolite... I work in the sparkplug plant in Fostoria, OH the GP's used to be made here years ago, they were only assembled here. From what I was told, we did not make any part of it, only bought the pieces from other sources, (the cheapest) and put them together.
As far as I know, we do not make GP's anymore, just buy them and put in autolite boxes.
That is common in manufacturing, as some of you know, to make different "brands" in the same facility. Just a few we make: Motorcraft, AC, Mighty, John Deere, Autolite, Splitfire.... theres a lot more, we no longer make plugs for Harley-Davidson since they found out the company plans to move production to Mexico so we can be more profitable on Ford crap.