Clunk sound when taking off from a stop...

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, lately, I've noticed when I'm sitting at a red light, and go to accelerate, really at any speed, fast or slow, I notice a quick clunk when the truck starts to move forward. This is the only time it does it, when I take off from a stop, just wondering what is causing this and how can I fix it? Just don't want to do any unnecessary damage to the truck. Thanks all,

Derek

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
check your driveshaft u-joints. Put the tranny in gear, crawl under the truck (with it off, obviously!), and wiggle the d-shaft. You'll find the culprit pretty quickly.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool, so wherever the wiggle is, just replace that joint? That was easy! Thanks, too btw, that was a fast response haha

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really need to do all of it soon anyways, U-joints, ball joints, tie rods, grease everything, tighten everything, the works, the front end of this truck is bumpy, noisy and loose, it needs a thorough going through.

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
for the rear driveshaft, you could have 2 or 3 or 4 or more. Depends on the truck. Go look.

As for cost, well, how much do you want to spend?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Check the pinion nut for the rear axle. My shiny dime bet is that the nut has backed off causing the clunk. If so, drop the driveshaft, take the pinion nut off, clean the threads and locktite the snot out of it and retorque to 160 ftlbs.
Seen it too many times and check all my customers trucks when they come thru the shop.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the pinion nut for the rear axle. My shiny dime bet is that the nut has backed off causing the clunk. If so, drop the driveshaft, take the pinion nut off, clean the threads and locktite the snot out of it and retorque to 160 ftlbs.
Seen it too many times and check all my customers trucks when they come thru the shop.

Thanks for that info, never thought of that, I will double check that when I check the joints to see if that's an issue. After 262k miles, lots of things have worn, loosened up and tired out haha.

As for how much to spend, idrc, I usually like mid-grade to premium parts, and as much as I love this truck and want it to last and how hard I work it, I prefer all premium parts for it.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
2wd or 4wd? I've seen some Fords that have an issue with the slip joint entering the t-case binding for a second on acceleration....There was a TSB from Ford on this sympton in the mid 90's...They recommended a special teflon based lube for the splines...My 96 F150 4x4 did the same thing - drove me nuts until I found the TSB online.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
It would be great to know if your truck is a cc or extra cab. 4x4... Standard oe auto. Year..... These questions will help giving you answers. All the above posting are really good ideas. You might want to check the tran tail shaft mount. Look to see if any bolts show movement where they bolt thru the frame or mounts. The sound you hear is when the engine is torqueing the driveline. That makes things climb up on things because its a twisting motion.

My9373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys gonna get a sig made up asap to resolve this. Its a 1993 F250 xlt 7.3l 4WD w/e4OD auto ext. cab w/8' bed. Trucks has over 262k so im sure lots of parts are tired and loose, I've got a ridiculous laundry list of things I want/need to go through with it this summer so it can handle my daily driving and I can sell my jeep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online