Cleaning turbo and wastegate actuator question

Mikerson

Reaction score
I recently bought a factory 093 ATS turbo setup and I have a few questions.

1)Apparently this kit had been stored in a barn somewhere and the inside of the turbo is pretty dusty and has some spider webs. A friend said to spray that all out with brake parts cleaner, I'm just a little skeptical because I don't know if that will hurt anything in the compressor side. I know brake cleaner isn't supposed to hurt rubber gaskets and such, but it still feels like there might be something better for this application. What are your thoughts?

2)The wastegate actuator body has a hole in it (looks like a hole due to some sort of electrical discharge), and doesn't respond to pressure. Can I just patch this hole quickly with a welder while trying to keep the rest of the housing cool, or does it need to be totally replaced? What do you think about jb weld?
You must be registered for see images attach

3) Lastly, I'm missing the oil drain grommet (#20 on the ATS 093 layout). How can I get one of these without paying arm and a leg? Is there something close from a hardware store that works instead of the exact part?

Thanks for the help everybody. I'm new to the site and have been busy reading the scores of information here. What a great resource for all! :Thumbs Up

'94IDITurbo7.3

HAMMER DOWN!
Reaction score
My WG head had the EXACT SAME hole in it. once i put it back on the truck, i think that when somebody was messing with the glow plug relay they touched the always hot wire on the relay to the WG head. it lines up perfect. mine looked like electrical caused it as well.

for fixing the hole i just scuffed the surface, cleaned it with brake clean, then put some JB weld on it. been working fine. i could feel air coming out of that hole before i fixed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online