Christmas gone WRONG.....HELP!!!!

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I picked up this detroit locker ... .....my gorlfriend got me 4.10 gears directly from ford for christmas....long story short, I go to put the ring gear on the locker and it DOESNT FIT!!!!!!......the guy I got the locker from knows his **** and wouldn't bull **** me about what the locker is for....I measured the ring gear and outside of the teeth is 10 7/16"....Im not totally sure where im supposed to measure from but that seems more like a ring gear from a sterling 10.50 than a 10.25.....does anyone have a extra set of 10.25 gears laying around that they could measure the diameter or the centerline of the holes for me....I measured the CL of the holes and it is 7 9/16"....does anyone know if the bolt pattern for a 10.50 is different than a 10.25....If anyone could help me I would REALLYYYYYY appreciate it.....

And if anyone has a set of 10.25 gears they wanna sell me (if the gears are wrong) let me know...and if anyone has a detroit locker they wanna sell me (if the locker is wrong) let me know too.....

Merry Christmas.....BAHUMBUG!!!!!!!

Last edited:

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measured the spare 4.10 10.25 ring gear I have (pulled from my truck when I swapped in the 3.08) and the bolt C/L is 7-9/16", the inside hole is 6-7/16 dia and the outside edje of the ring gear is 10-7/16 across. I can't help you beyond that.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure that there was a simple mistake on the ring gear, not the locker. The 96 PSD should use the 10.25" ring gear, Ford/Sterling Axle, BUT Ford switched to 10.5" with the Super Duties, so when someone saw you had a PSD, he or she assumed you had a SD and gave you the gears for that. A couple options....
1) Best option is take the gears back to Ford and tell them they gave you the wrong part and you need to exchange for the right one
2) I have a 4.10 10.25 axle I'd let you have cheap. It worked well when it was removed in favor of 3.55s, but it is well used and the shipping would probably be atrocious.
3) Find 4.10s/10.25 in any 1985-1997-98 no Super Duty F-250/350 in a local junkyard and sell the 10.5" 4.10s on ebay.
I'd try #1 before I panicked...again it all depends on how bad adn how soon you need that truck to be running,
Merry Christmas,
J.D.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just measured the spare 4.10 10.25 ring gear I have (pulled from my truck when I swapped in the 3.08) and the bolt C/L is 7-9/16", the inside hole is 6-7/16 dia and the outside edje of the ring gear is 10-7/16 across. I can't help you beyond that.

DAMNIT that is what I was afraid of....I have the right gears and wrong locker....:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: -cuss :kick::backoff ...thanks buddy

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
THE LOCKER IS FOR A DANA 80!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHO WANTS A LOCKER FOR A DANA 80!!!....

anyone wanna trade me for a 10.25 locker ?

Last edited:

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Someone with and F-Superduty....or you could find an F-Superduty wrecked and use it! Sorry to hear that, but I was shocked anyone could get a Detroit Locker for $40. If I could have gotten one for 3X that price I would ahve one now.

Muddinkev44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do believe it is for a ford cause it is 37 spline and I looked and I believe the only axle with 37 is the ford dana 80....the dodges are 35 spline....im not positive about that so I suggest some research so you don;t get screwed like I did....well i really didnt get screwed cause of the price I got it for...but you know what I mean...

Price: .....well it doesnt help that I opened my big mouth and told everyone what I paid for it.... but make me an offer.... regaurdless I am putting a locker in my 10.25 come when I put the gears in...come hell or high water.... I dont NEED gears so I can wait a little while but I would like them in asap...now I would like to get the most money out of this detroit that I can...(duh)....but if you can work out a deal with me for a locker for my 10.25 or even if you can work somethin out with me for 4.10 gears and a locker for my front Dana 60, I would even consider that...

....also I am looking for gauges and a downpipe too if you know of any....Im sure I can be pretty flexible if your serrious about wanting it....

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will any of the parts work for me??

I have a Rear out of an 88 I was told.
The ring measures outside 10.5
The Axles are 35 spline.
Pinon is 31 spline.
I was told probly Dana 70U or 70 HD but all I can find dosent measure up?
I seen a Sterling 10.5 has the same splines but is 10.25.
Also I had seen somewere that a dana 80 had a 11.+ Ring gear?
Thanks
John

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online