charging system

CH302K

Reaction score
My amp gauge doesn't move until the rpms get to 2000.I laid down 55.00 for a new belt.I found rubber build up in the alt pulley.After cleaning up the pulley,I installed the belt.Nothing changed.I'm going to put a dvom on the truck this weekend but was hoping somebody else has gone though this.
Thanks

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
check the voltage, if it is between 13.5 and 14.5 you are ok. the amp gage should only really move if it is actually charging the system. if your batteries are charged it should sit neutral.

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
What Jared said...

As long as the voltage on the batteries is good, then your charging.

Part of the reason why amp gauges fell out of favor is that they are notoriously difficult to understand. Voltage is a much better indicator of charging system performance. Think of a discharged battery as a load on the system, if the voltage is above 13.5 that means the alternator is supplying enough current to satisfy the needs of the battery and the rest of the circuit load.

With an ammeter if you have a dead battery, and a dead alternator, the charge gauge will still sit right in the middle of the span.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Part of the reason why amp gauges fell out of favor is that they are notoriously difficult to understand. Voltage is a much better indicator of charging system performance. Think of a discharged battery as a load on the system, if the voltage is above 13.5 that means the alternator is supplying enough current to satisfy the needs of the battery and the rest of the circuit load.

What Justin said!;Sweet

This is the reason I have a voltmeter in all of my trucks.

Heath

philofab

Dirty ****
Reaction score
Additionally the whole electrical system has to be run through a amp meter and it's difficult to run more than 60 amps through one.