Changing the tranny oil

MLee

Reaction score
Have a friend that has a Dodge, 97 short bed 1/2 ton. He wants to change the tranny oil, is it advisable or ok to power flush it??
Next, what about the AT+4 that is used in the newer transmissions is this usable in the 97 tranny??
He is going to have the work done next tuesday so any help, or advice would be appreciated quickly.
Thank you. you can see what I have.
Marv.

BigSix

Reaction score
ATF+4 if fine to use in the 46RE or 46RH. It's a synthetic ATF+3. ATF+3 is available in autoparts stores if he wants to just do a pan drop filter and fluid change. I've done all of mine that way. No problems so far. Powerflushing should be fine. I've just never seen the need for it unless the tranny fluid is damaged or contaminated.

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
powerflushing is the best route to go, change all of the fluid instead of 4 qts...i never seen the use in that. thats like changing just the filter on your engine oil. all lubricants break down...why not do it right and change all of it.

BigSix

Reaction score
ATF+4 is now available in the auto parts stores made by Valvoline. It's a real, licensed by Chrysler ATF+4, not a universal fits all fluid. It's full synthetic.