Carbon fiber accessories for idi's?

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems like little green failed safety inspection due to rust holes in the fender. We're on the lookout for a bed but needed something to make it safe again. I heard that all of the cool kids are sporting carbon fiber so that is what we used.

Disclaimer: No carbons or fibers were hurt during this process. We used materials left over from a foundation repair project. Just a bit of trimming and she'll be back on the road again.

Attachments

• lg fender b4.JPG
    lg fender b4.JPG
    740.4 KB · Views: 32
  • cf after.jpg
    cf after.jpg
    662.3 KB · Views: 50

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats got to be at least 15 hp there

dgr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should have built some fat flares into them. All the cool kids are doing that. Make sure you paint a big middle finger on them for the safety inspection guys and tell him to rub his hand along the edge really fast to check for any rough edges. What a racket that is. Exactly how is that a safety issue? How much does that inspection cost you guys? How much of it goes to the state?

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The state guy writes the ticket. You take it to the authorized shop of your choice. A full inspection with drums off and lights, wipers, ball joints etc, etc, etc, is $65.00. That includes re-inspection within thirty days. This inspection was triggered due to using a vehicle with historic plates for pulling a trailer. Oops.

This truck had not been inspected in this state before so I was surprised that it only needed fender work, headlights polished and a battery hold down.

osokusmc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's why there are no car crashes in Maryland, because of the safety inspections.

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If that rust on the fenders failed the inspection my truck would be impounded on the spot!!! My cab floor is not attached from the front door post to the rear of the cab because the rocker and floor are so bad!

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
If that rust on the fenders failed the inspection my truck would be impounded on the spot!!! My cab floor is not attached from the front door post to the rear of the cab because the rocker and floor are so bad!

your from ohio... thats considered an average vehicle there...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What a scam they are doing to you guys ith that inspection ****. Actually I wish some fool in this state would start an inspection to get the smokeing blue pos the undocumented peoples are driving all over hell and back. ?Some of those cars or small import trucks are some crashed up they look like hell and unsafe to drive. Headlites hanging or missing. Same with tail lites. The red plastic on the tail lites thats hanging orr or just the part with the tape is srill on the car really makes me sick. Why the hell an officer doesn't impound the car and send it to the scrapper is beyond me. I saw some guy driveing a car that was hit so ******* the passenger side that the car was puppy doging don the road making two distint tracks in the road. How safe is that...:mad: Yesterday I saw an F150 nice looking truck that had been hit hard enough on the left rear that the bed wrinkled the fender area and the cab was dented. Of course the red plastic had worn off the broken til lite lense. Clearly it was driveable but the hispanic guy should be getting ticket for missing left run blinker and tail lite and runnjing lite back there....

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peoples republic of Maryland.... gotta love it. Note to self, don't get caught towing with historic plates... check!

That's why I'm doing all the work to mine. Can't get it inspected as she sits. I looked at an inspection sheet though and I didn't see body rust as an item to be checked. They will fail it if the cab floor is rusted out because that's considered unsafe because the seats bolt to it. Who needs seats that stay attached to the cab anyway. That would have certainly failed in WV.

BTW... I can attest to the fact that there are no wrecks in MD... :rotflmao every day on my way to work. -cuss

smokin150

aka Diesel Weasel
Reaction score
. That would have certainly failed in WV.

Dunno bout that, just cover the rusted floor with a mat and ur good to go... Mines been like this for 5 years running and still gets a sticker. However everything else on the truck is sound

Tim4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think if you used some good Alabama chrome you woulda gotten atleast 17.5hp

Stopped by the inspection station today to see if the carbon fiber "permanent repairs" are acceptable. Yep, just as soon as they are painted. I know that the guy is just doing his job but come on, really? I have to paint epoxy repairs to make them acceptable?

I will. This too shall pass.

rlb245

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New York has an inspection system and it works for the most part. but there are still people driving around with out an up to date sticker. It cost $21.00 dollars here and rust is not part of the inspection. brakes,steering,lights, signal, horn and suspension.