Came across what I think is a really good deal

Drake Smith

Reaction score
Came across a 96 powerstroke yesterday for $1750. Has 166k original miles! Dude had no idea what he had. The truck was his grandpas and his grandpa is getting really sick and had to be put in a home so they are selling the estate. Truck has been sitting for several years because his grandpa couldnt drive it due to health issues. It's a 2wd extended cab long bed. Gooseneck hitch and tow package. No rust. No paint loss. Truck overall is like a 7/10. Just dirty. The guy said he doesnt know much about it but that it does run. Well, one of the battery terminals is broken off on it. So there wasnt really a way for me to get it running. The two batteries in it were so old that they wouldnt hold a charge either. It tried to crank very slowly but because of the terminal being broken it was harder to jump it or put a charger on it. Guy said his grandpa had told him that the transmission was possibly bad in it (has the E4OD). So he was unsure if it drove but said it does run. My question is, would this be just a good deal even if the transmission is bad and if I'd be able to get it for like $1500? Has a clean title and everything. Banks exhaust brake, aftermarket turbo down pipes, cb radio hookups, fog lights, billet grille. What do yall think? Body has no paint loss either but does have a dent on the passenger side.

Drake Smith

Reaction score
It's also leaking oil from the oil pan and what looks like the rear main. Trans pan is covered in fluid as well but I checked the transmission fluid and oil and both look good and not concerning. Coolant looks good too.

greenskeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
running condition with no repairs needed....good deal.

blown trans and possibly rusted oil pan......not so good deal.

compressionignitionrules

Full Access Member
Reaction score
its sounding more like a good parts truck, not a driver. here rust free is a very serious claim, in your area its much more commonplace. it would really help if you could hear it run. Estate sales here are kind of touchy when the person is still alive. might be double your purchase price just to get it on the road with a used trans. if you are the labour source. even so , everyone's time is valuable.