C6 shift problems after ip change

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see them better now.

That plug connector might go to the Hi idle and Cold advance sensor under the alternator.

That VRV looks to be way out of position. Make sure the roll pin on the throttle shaft is behind the VRV knobs so that the pin rotates the VRV clockwise.

When you changed the IP's , a VRV IP has a roll pin on the throttle shaft, a TPS IP has a tab on the throttle shaft.

Here is what an IP TPS tab looks like.

Thanks @towcat for the pic.

Attachments

• VRV.jpg
    VRV.jpg
    670.7 KB · Views: 8
  • downshift.jpg
    downshift.jpg
    815.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IP TPS tab..JPG
    IP TPS tab..JPG
    162 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

shakenbake254

Reaction score
I think I found the problem. This pin is missing on the new ip.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry for the sideways photos. Its doing that when I upload them. The first pic is my old pump. Is that the pin you were talking about?

shakenbake254

Reaction score
Put the pin on. No change. I think that was the original problem when it was skipping second but now something is messed up in the tranny I think.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a VRV anymore so can't take a pic of it. You have to make sure the pin is rotating the VRV like in my pic. If it don't rotate the VRV the tranny won't shift right. Look in the VRV side that faces the IP, you'll see two knobs/tabs in there, the pin must be like the pic shows.

Get yourself a vacuum gauge and do the setup like in the diagram I posted. A C6 shifts on vacuum controlled by the VRV. Put the green VRV back on if that was the original. Could be that the Modulator is ***** being it ran that hot. You can't just stick the VRV on there and expect it to operate correctly.

PM trackspeeder, he would know what VRV color should be used on a diesel. A GM VRV is different than a Ford VRV.

EDIT. Check the setting on the intermediate band, it is used for 2nd gear. The diagram shows how to set it. Back off the adjusting screw exactly 1-1/2 turns.

Last edited:

shakenbake254

Reaction score
I made sure I put it on like in your picture. The yellow and green are both for these trucks but I will be putting the green one to see if it changes. When I changed the pump I made sure to put it in the same position as it was on the old one however I bet it needs to be in a different position because this pump is different.

shakenbake254

Reaction score
UPDATE: So I got my truck back today. The shop dialed in the vrv perfectly but it didn't fix the shifting problems. The mechanic was sitting in my truck in gear giving it throttle in first gear and it was still not moving and he said he heard a pop and the truck took off down the street like a frieight train. After that the thing shifted perfectly. I just test drove it and it shifts better then the day I bought it. Any ideas about the pop sound he heard?