Brother bought a 6.0 today

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Apparently my brother bought an '06 F-350 crew cab Lariat 4x4 today. Which means I get to build two diesels instead of one, and I have someone to test against if/when I upgrade. I am very excited about that.

Now, I need to do some research. I am doing so without his knowing about it, so I'm not looking for prices or suppliers at this time. I know nothing of Ford diesels. What I'd like to know is, what are the standard answers to the "what should I upgrade" question? Like, for third generation Dodge trucks, the answers are: gauges, intake, exhaust, TST, ATS/DTT/Suncoast/NADP/whoever else transmission. Obviously the first three apply to any truck. Is there a chip/tuner/downloader that does as much for Fords as the TST does for Dodges? Are the automatic transmissions as much as a concern as the 48RE is? If at some point he decides to add some power (like, in two weeks when I get home and talk him into a friendly quarter mile), I'd like to have some solid advice for him.

tgatch

Reaction score
Seems the SCT is well liked by many. Not the SCMT (Superchips Microtuner), but the SCT. http://www.sctflash.com/. The SCT not only controls timing, boost and the likes with the engine, but it also controls the transmission shifting, firmness and TC lockup. If working with a good vendor the can build a custom tune to exactly what your brother wants.

Now the BAD news. Apparently with the current PCM flash on the trucks, the vendors are having a rough time. They expect to have it all fixed soon. I expect they will too. The only real drawback I see, is any time the truck is reflashed from the dealer your tunes need to be redone.

Personally I have a Quadzilla Box and am Happy with it. Plug it in and it works. The street module shifts really good without major issue. The race module on the highest setting gets finiky so you have to go back through the "training" process.

I've heard good things about the Edge A2 Platinum, Edge Evolution (Programmer) and TS Performance makes a well like Chip and now a new tuner.

The 6.0 responds well to chips and tuners. Just ask Sea01Cummer (Steve), he went for a ride/drive in my truck a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:

jimmypage

Reaction score
i have an o6 f250 i have the edge platinum w/ attitude monitor stacked with the edge evolution and the 4" turboback mbrp exhaust with the edge monitor i dont run anyother guages you can monitor pretty much everything from shifting tc boost and egt's i put everything a week after i bought the truck new and now have 5700 without a single problem it has alot of power and smokes alot good luck hopefully this helps

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One of my other users at SDD has an 06 F-350 CC 4x4 and he just dyno'd at 428 RWHP with an airaid intake, a tuner and a gutted cat. No other mods.

killer

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I forgot about SDD, but I've been looking around there today.

If 428HP is going to happen with that little effort, then I'm not telling him anything. I would be surprised if I hit 325 with the Juice at 5. Horsepower isn't everything, but 100 of them is a lot of things.

LIPD

Owner LIPD & Fuel
Reaction score
Killer,

The Sct or PPE Downloaders will make 425-460 RWHP and the transmissions seem to be holding up fine. you will need an exhaust and intake to make them most of them intercoolers and replacement turbo wheels also help. But 500 RWHP + - a few can be had with good reliablityfor only a few $$$$.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7