brakes are fixed

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SWEET!! Did they have a version that incorporated a parking brake like the dualies you mentioned?

I may as well wait until the drums I have now get worn (the shoes are only a year old), but that'll be VERY worthwhile when the time comes... ;Sweet
I'll check on my next AMR pickup. iirc yes. I can't see furd putting in the driveline ebrake on all disc braked rears.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's kinda what I figured...but good to know for sure; I can't imagine putting a driveshaft E-brake on the back of my transfer case, and I do want to retain the capability. :)

Did they use a mini-drum brake inboard of the rotor like what M-B did, or does the E-brake somehow hold the disc pads in place?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
My 01 e250 came with the rear disc and I haven't had the chance to look at it but it seems like Yes it does hold the pads, meaning no mini drum. Any way I check My haynes manual and it does not say much about parking brake on rear disc vans.:confused:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got my favorite AMR run tonite. Santa Cruz;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet;Sweet
AMR Hubbard street has the added bonus of a independant ice cream maker right next door that has 72 flavors to choose from. big bonus for a foodie like me.
Back to on topic....the '99 E350 has the MBZ style parking brake. I look at it as a mixed blessing. good. no goofy expensive trans mounted parking brake is needed. Bad. the conversion work is going to be entertaining.

dancrowley

danc01
Reaction score
brakes

Jim,
I have a 1984 F-250 HD 4X4 that I have totaly restored. I installed newer master cly. with a 1 1/4" bore. I was planing to up grade the rear wheel cly. to 1 1/16" or even 1 1/8". Do you think this whould help? Thank you. Dan

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Dan,

If your question was for me I would get rid of the oversized master cylinder and replace it with a stock bore one.

If you are looking to improve your stopping ability the things that have been discussed here that help are:

1 - Add a a hydraboost brake booster if you can find one. Use the stock bore MC. I have no personal knowledge regarding this.

2 - Replace your stock probably 8" vacuum booster with a 10 3/4" one from a later truck. I put a '93 booster on my '86 using the stock bore MC. This was a big improvement.

3 - Replace your existing brake pads and shoes with Raybestos Extreme Duty Or Wagner Brute Stop pads and shoes. I have the Raybestos ones here I picked up yesterday and will be installing them shortly. Several posters have reported a good improvement with this change. Warning! They are expensive (-:

Jim

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Dan,
I agree, that is why I bought them. I have a friend that owns a auto parts store so that is a big help on the cost. The invoice showed retail for the Raybestos Extreme Duty front pads was $113.00. I paid $51.00.

Jim

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I have been following this thread, I have had to ask my self..................
WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU TRYING TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have 150,000 miles on the original rear shoes and 1 pair of fronts and I have had to stop a lot of weight. without a load if I hit the brakes the seatbelt comes on. Prior to the MC thsi past week the only real trouble was the rear seal until I put the new style on.

Since you,all have a lot of time on your hands..... come on over and lets get this turbo thing going over here and i'll buy the steaks. ;)

Jeff Dodson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:thanks: Thats what the guy told me when he told me to put the larger M/C, I just didnt know where to find the service bullitin so I did not bring it up. Thanx for finding that for me

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
I just read the linked information on master cylinders. Unless I am missing something it is posted in the wrong Forum. It applies to 1995 F-250 and F-350 vehicles and that would be a PSD year. What am I missing???

Jim

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The truck repaired under this TSB belongs in this forum and the article stats that it applies to more than the vehicle it is for. My bet is the master cylinder for the '88 to '94 is the same MC as for the '95. The '92 and up of course have the cruise cancel switch on the MC, the reason for the distinction in the chart in the article. So I bet the MC and calipers were the same from '88 to '95 and mabye '97.

Jeff, you should have mentioned this:backoff . ;p Your underlying problem was a set of calipers with a bigger bore. So now we know the problem was cured not covered up to return later.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online