Brake rotor thickness

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Anyone know what the mininum brake rotor thickness is for a 91 F250 2wd???....My MVI is up this month and I just measured all my drums and rotors to see if they will pass (new law here - brakes are inspected/measured during the yearly MVI) The drums are good, but other than pulling the rotors off I don't know what the minimum thickness should be.:dunno LF measured 1.233", the RF was 1.223" I'm guessing the min is handy to 1.200 or 1.150......:dunno

All in all the old rig is in good shape for having 410,000KM on it. All that I saw for the MVI was a rust hole in the floor (not welded yet:rolleyes: ) and I had to replace a broken rear hanger this past weekend...Other than that she passes as is.:D The front end is as tight as a duck's ****.....:rotflmao....Jamb the grease to em' boy's once a month and no worries.;Sweet

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Discard at 30mm / 1.180" (Ford manual spec)

Keep in mind if there are ANY grooves the rotors have to be measured from the bottom of the grooves.

It is possible that the state could use a higher "machine to" spec, working under the assumption that the rotors could wear under the "discard at" spec before the next inspection.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Nah, the MVI book states that as long as they aren't grooved bad and still over the discard value they pass. Mine are good, smooth, lots of pad left and no grooves. I just don't want to spend any money on the 2wd front end when I have the D60 going in this fall.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nah, the MVI book states that as long as they aren't grooved bad and still over the discard value they pass.

Ya that MVI thing helps keep crap off the road. Doesn't eliminate it though it does help keep crap motor vehicles off the road for sure.

When I lived in PEI, my car had to be MVI'd each year too, it was something I never had a problem with cause it was in great shape and I did most all the work on it so I know it was a cake walk to pass.

I just wish more provinces had a yearly inspection. Now the funny thing is the car I have was dad's before he passed away. It was from BC and I already lived in PEI so I came out got it, had to get it inspected and it passed.

Now that I am back in BC it has to get an inspection and then thats it it won't need another one. Just anytime you bring a motor vehicle into the province it needs to be inspected.....too funny, why not have yearly MVI?

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yup, yearly is good IMHO, lots of good people out there running safe vehicles but there are also lots of moron's running some really unsafe junk....Some big rig's that I inspect for MVI are just plain scary, in this case I usually make a long list and if he wants a sticker he fixes it or no sticker from me. Took me 5 years to that license and I ain't giving it up for nobody.:backoff

My license is limited, since 2000 all newly licensed truck and transport mechanic's can only inspect vehicles 4500kg and heavier. I can inspect any trailer - even small automotive ones....I think is kinda retarded that I can inspect a truck/trailer that rolls down the road at 100,000+lbs but I can't inspect a Geo Metro???cookoo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online