boost/wastegate controller?

boggerted

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So now that I have my gauges in my 93 f350 turbo idi, I wanna get some more power out of her. It already has ip turned up a few flats, ats exhaust housing and atx downpipe into 4" sidepipe. I was wondering if you could put something like a manual boost controller to make the wastegate open later because it seems like my wastegate dumps at around 2500 rpm and I only hit like 5psi boost (I checked for exhaust leaks and I only have one very minor one). has anyone done this? I know adding fuel will increase boost, but it smokes pretty black now and I want more air.

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
You can adjust the wastegate to open later. I could only hit 6psi when I first got my truck. I adjusted the rod(shortened it) and now I can hit 12 psi. I need to readjust it though as I only want 10psi. After I replaced my split manifold and fixed my u-pipe leaks I was able to generate the extra 2psi.

sootman73

Reaction score
i actually unplugged my wastegate altogether. i actually used the wastegate hose to plumb my boost line as i didn't want drill and tap into the intake manifold. I see 15 easily and i could see more but i dont go any higher than that by using my foot as the wastegate....

you can do this too if you want. i didn't kknow it for a while but my wastegate was actually opening due to exhaust back pressure. so i wired it shut and got another 3 psi to put me at 15. i've been running this for 4 months without problems but then again i dont get on it too often($$$$$) LOL

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i actually unplugged my waste gate altogether. i actually used the waste gate hose to plumb my boost line as i didn't want drill and tap into the intake manifold. I see 15 easily and i could see more but i don't go any higher than that by using my foot as the wastegate....

you can do this too if you want. i didn't know it for a while but my waste gate was actually opening due to exhaust back pressure. so i wired it shut and got another 3 psi to put me at 15. I've been running this for 4 months without problems but then again i don't get on it too often($$$$$) LOL

Definitely a good test to see what your turbo is capable of for the amount of fuel but I wouldn't leave it unhooked. It's way to easy to adjust the actuator rod and make it failsafe than blowing head gaskets with the cruise control set pulling grade. My waste gate hose popped off once and towing pulling grade the boost went out of sight (over pegged a 15 psi gauge) fast.

sootman73

Reaction score
i hardly ever tow anymore and when i do its def not with cruise control. the only time i get that high is WOT at 27-2800 rpm. no need to hold it there very long either cuz i hit 80 pretty quick.

its been unhooked for nearly 40,000 miles(close to three years) without a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online