Body Work How-To

cornbinder 84

Goat Rancher
Reaction score
I am getting ready to start the body work and paint on my 85 probably within the next two weeks if weather allows. I was wondering if anybody would like me to do a how-to post on fixing dents and getting the truck ready for paint. I thought there might be alot of people on here like me that cannot afford to go to a body shop, but with a little instruction might try to fix their trucks at home. Even though I have a completely equipped body shop, I thought I might do this with tools that everyone might have or can get on the cheap. I am going to try to keep the budget under $500. I already have the paint which is Martin Senoir Acrylic Enamel. I am going to keep a running tally to see if how cheap I can achieve a "good" paint job. My truck has no rust in it at all but I could still show some rust repair how-to's if you guys want them (I have a 65 Mustang in the shop that has plenty of rust). Almost anyone can do bodywork if they take their time, and I can show a few tricks the old man taught me to make it easier. It is going to be hard to keep the budget under $500 I think. Paint supplies are getting higher every day due to shipping costs(i.e. HAZMAT). The cost of the paint is the controlling factor in a DIY paint job. Paint, thinner, and hardner for my truck is going to be about $150 dollars. Change that to basecoat/clearcoat and the price can go to $500 to $1500 dollars or more just for the paint. For example my father-in-laws GTO- the paint materials was $2500 dollars but it changes colors depending on how the sun hits it. I would really like to contribute back to the IDI community that has helped me alot with my trucks. So let me know if you are interested and I will take plenty of pics and maybe even a video or two. I will try to cover it from start to finish.

Thanks,

Jack

Oh yeah, here is a pic of the GTO. It is a 1966 with a built 400 and an automatic.

Attachments

• 100_0491.JPG
    100_0491.JPG
    830.6 KB · Views: 37

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We just painted two of our show tractors with a base coat/clear coat and the paint was 270 a gallon, the clear coat is about the same price then theres the epoxy primer and hardener.

gonecrazyi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im interested, thanks to my dad doing a lot of this kind of work, we have all the professional paint guns and tools needed to do the job.

We got rid of all our Michigan vehicles years ago, Southern ones are much nicer to deal with.

Body truck body is actually really straight, but I do have a few rust spots behind the bottom of thedrivers side door.

loggin350

Reaction score
Yes please, I am planning to do some body work in the near future when funds allow. I will be coating the whole body of my truck with Durabak bed liner, but I sure could use a few tips and tricks with the prep work and stuff like that. As for rust repair, if at all possible I really need help in that area, specifically the rear fender wells on my truck are shot, if its not too much trouble for you I would love some pointers and instructions on hoe to repair that. Thanks in advance - Matt

Chevyboy_0

Mr.SunnyDisposition
Reaction score
When i did the paint on my chevelle the paint was $400/gallon, and clear was close to $350/gallon, all said and done i had close to 2500 invested in just paint, primer, and clear.

I hate doing body work, but then again im a perfectionist and it has to be just right before im happy.

Id love to see some pics of the progress and finished project :D keep us posted

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You guys buy some seriously expensive paint. I bought a nice light metallic base /clear for my crew cab , bout a gal and a half of ea and I think I spent about $175-200 all together. Run of the mill Du Pont commercial grade stuff that all the body shops use around here

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Dude, I'm all ears. I can make stuff run, but all of my stuff has always looked like its been through the mill.:puke: I have a Craftsman gravity feed gun, probably not the best, but should work, right? It's new in box still, I'm afraid I won't clean it properly or something dumb like that. I even have access to small mig welder and plasma cutter. I have trucks that can't be hurt no matter what you do, just wanted to have clues as how to do it right. I hope this goes in the right direction!!!;Sweet

Rusty-Ford

Reaction score
definately interested. I have some serious body work to do (mainly rust repair) on my truck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ntjapkes