Body lift kits

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i was checking out sites this evening looking at a 2" body lift kit for my '94 and all the ones that i saw stated does not fit diesel what mod would i have to make to make it them fit or is it more trouble than it's worth.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
2" is supposed to run into clerance issuses on the drivers side head. Just run down to the local ice rink and grab a bag of pucks and you can do a 1" lift no problem. Just have to cut out the fan shroud a bit.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2" is supposed to run into clerance issuses on the drivers side head. Just run down to the local ice rink and grab a bag of pucks and you can do a 1" lift no problem. Just have to cut out the fan shroud a bit.
+1 on what he said:D;Sweet

PSDfreak

Diesel-a-holic
Reaction score
Personally I am not a fan of the body lift...Maybe 1" or so, but I was doing Cab bushings this last weekend and when I had the body lifted a few inches with a frame lift I looked in the engine compartment and saw stretched wires...Just FYI I would be concerned over time about streching something out (plus I hate being able to see between the body and the frame)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all say you can't use a body lift with the diesel regardless of the size. I am the mighty and powerfull OZ! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. You CAN use a 2" kit with no issues. I've done it 3 times now. LOL

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They all say you can't use a body lift with the diesel regardless of the size. I am the mighty and powerfull OZ! Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain. You CAN use a 2" kit with no issues. I've done it 3 times now. LOL

I have to agree with the "Mighty and Powerful OZ": I have a 2" kit on my truck. I had a very small interference on the firewall that was easily fixed with a prybar, but the 3" body lift is the one that everybody says will make your cab a giant speaker due to heavy engine/firewall interference.

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score

X2. I lifted the cab on mine using hockey pucks, and it works very well. I bought a dozen of them for about $15. Each one is ~1" so 2 at each mounting point gives 2" of lift. Just punch holes in the center of them with a 1/2" drill bit. And 2" didn't create fan shroud, or short wires, or any other issues for me...

Papabear

Papabear
Reaction score
i would happily use the hockey puck trick but the do a roadside inspection blitz up here every year on lifted vehicles they check everything.

6"stacks

Reaction score
i did a 3" on mine and the engine only hits slightly when i slam it in reverse. i think its making its own clearance now lol!

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
The head is hitting my firewall now and I have a 3" lift. I am going to cut them down to 1" and use it. For the pucks, why not get a piece of tubing that fits the pucks, paint it and be done?

Chris

GoodB0Y

Reaction score
You must listen to the all mighty "OZ"for he is always right!!! lol

The reason they say for "NOT FOR DIESEL" is for cooling reasons... when your towing the mods to the fan shroud if done wrong can cause overheating... makers of body lifts don't want to gamble and have a customer send them a bill for 10g's cause there motor overheated, it's easyer to say not for diesel ... at least that was the reason I was given when I looked into it. But I could be wrong and now that I've heard about this head clearence issue I'm going to check the clearence on my truck... it has a rattle that did start about the sme time as the lift...hmmmm

I did a 2'' with very little modding (and no probs yet)... move fan shroud down and drill new mounting holes at the top and trim excess at the bottom, and cover the gap at the top w/sheet-metal ...some people leave the shroud in the same place on the rad and trim the shroud to give clearence for the fan but thats how cooling issues can sometimes arise.

the other thing that I had to do was bend my 4x4 shifter (torch and a vice) it wouldn't shift properly... and I had to fix the e-brake cable (not done yet!) it was, is, a little too tight from the frame to the cab for my liking

I've heard that the 3'' lift is allot more trubble than it's worth. I went with an aftermarket lift. I used a performance accesories lift cause it was cheep and had all the diferent lenghts of bolts that I needed. Although I wish I would've replaced them with grade 8 bolts... hope that helps..

Last edited:

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a 2 inch body lift. Didn't want to mangle the firewall with the turbo install. So, the two inch lift gives plenty of room and no issues with tight wires or what have you. I did trim the rad. shroud a bit though.

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
X2 on the shifter install. I forgot about that detail. Not a problem for the 2WD guys. Tough to get the angle just right of you take it out of the truck and do it on the bench like I did.