Body Fitment

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of putting my rig back together. All the body parts are from different vehicles. I'm wondering if someone can give me an overview or set of guidelines for optimum reassembly.

So say you are starting with a bare frame. What would be step one? So on and so forth?

Like:
1. Put cab on chassis with body mounts between cab and chassis.
2. measure front to back distances to get even (Where from?).
3. measure side to side distances to get even (Where from?).
4. tighten bolts.

Basically, I'm wondering if there is a formula for assembly that someone goes by such that you will end up with the least amount of problems in the end.

Thanks much,

Paul

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you are dealing with older chassis, there really isn't any real measuremensts you can do. I usually will "float" the cab with a jack on either side and use an "L" footed prybar(for the life of me I don't know the real name), actually I have four of them and drop them into each hole where the body bolt goes through. center everything up via the mount holes and then drop in the bolts and tighten. there's alot of "fudgefactor" on these trucks so shimming up the front clip is a pretty regular thing.

jlayne

Bondo Bandito
Reaction score
leave all the bolts loose untill you get everything like you want... then go back and tighten them

Reaction score
Thanks. After putting it together once I loosened everything up for a realignment. It seems to be coming around, but it sure is time consuming!

Paul

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
sorry couldnt help it...is fitment a word? :D

On edit:

fitment

n : any of the items furnishing or equipping a room (especially built-in furniture); "she liked the kitchen fitments"

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University
:rotflmao

just giving you trouble ;Sweet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online