BMW 524TD IDI Diesel Communter Car

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got 2 of these for sale. For those that aren't familiar with the 524TD, it's a e28 bmw chassis with a M21 2.4L turbo idi diesel rated at 115hp. They were imported for only 2 years, 85 & 86 but were quite common overseas. At the time it was the faster production diesel car. IHMO, these are some of the best diesel cars available - they've got good power and are comfortable and fun to drive, relatively easy to work on, simple, reliable and get good mileage. I've never tried WVO/biodiesel, but I'd think they'd work fine. The injection pump is a VE Bosch, similar to the common VW idi pump.

The chassis is the common e28, so parts and repairs are easy on that part. The engine on these is a derivative of the BMW small 6 and is also very reliable. Parts are more difficult to find but not impossible, especially if you use online parts distributors. Many of the parts are still available from BMW for relatively decent prices. Several good service manuals are available free and the engine is not technically that difficult to work on - very similar to the common VW engine. As mentioned, the injection system is common Bosch gear so nothing crazy there. The trans in these is the ZF 4HP22 same as used in the gasser BMWs and it well reputed. It is a 4 speed overdrive lockup automatic unit.

Both of these are socal cars and in decent condition - no rust.

Car #1 - This is a bit of a project car. 260k miles, and it starts and drives but reportedly has low turbo boost and needs maintenance. The body is clean and in decent shape, but the interior is a bit torn up, especially the seats. I have not had a chance to really go through it yet but I'd plan on doing a full in depth service (t-belt, seals, gaskets, vlv adjustment, brakes, fluid change, etc) and probably some other repairs. However, once that's done I'd expect to get another 100k+ miles.

I will post more info and pictures once I get them. This is a car I recently found and had to rescue from scraping, so I don't plan to do much, just look it over and try to resell it to someone who'll restore it.

The car reportedly has current CA registration and clean title.

$1250 obo

Car #2 - Also an 85 and from what I can tell a southern CA car it's entire life. 112k indicated, suspected actual mileage ~150k (odometer was broken when I got it) This car has been my off and on daily driver for the past few months and is in very good condition cosmetically & mechanically.

The car has recently had a full service to include a new timing belt w/ tensioner & idler bearing, water pump, radiator hoses, thermostat, valve adjustment, cam seal, accessory belts, filter change, trans fluid flush, 'lite' injection system rebuild (removal, disassembly, inspection and new seals on injection pump/ removal, disassembly, cleaning & pop test on injectors), and starter rebuild and has no known mechanical problems. I have service records for the past couple years that include a new alternator, new radiator and new rear brakes. The tires, trans, front brakes and suspension are in good condition.

The AC system has been converted to R-134 and works well.

All of the electronics work with the exception of the service light indicator and some radio buttons.

The interior is in very good condition and is complete with no missing or damaged items as far as I know. The body is in good shape with no rust. There is minor damage in 2 places - a large scratch and small dented area on the lower passenger door and a small crushed in (~1 sq in) under the driver's taillight. The paint is in moderately good shape with several areas of pealing clear coat and damage in the 2 areas noted above. The windshield will be replaced prior to sale.

The car has current registration and a clean CA title.

This is a very nice car and one that I'm hesitant to get rid of, but I already have a car and truck and don't need more junk, especially since I have to move next spring.

$4750.

This is your opportunity to get a very rare very nice commuter car to compliment your truck. IMHO these cars are much superior to the more common VW & Mercades diesels out there. In the former case, most VW diesel that I've seen are underpowered and the cars overall are cheap and clunky feeling. Mercades seem to be the opposite - they are nice cars, but also very complicated and hard to keep in good shape, and my experience has been that they're not really fun to drive. The 524TD (and Volvo 740TD) nicely stradles this line and you get performance, reliability and comfort in a package that doesn't require a German PhD to repair.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/productSearch.aspx?&ukey_make=974&ukey_model=13446&modelYear=1985&ukey_category=0&ukey_driveline=0&ukey_trimlevel=11888&ukey_modelRange=0&isOnSale=0&searchTerm=

Seems like most parts are available through the dealer - these folks have a nice website with the parts catalog and online ordering setup.

What I would do is pull up the part number for whatever I needed through that site and then do a google search and see if I could find it anywhere cheaper.

FCP Groton has some parts, Pelican parts, rock auto, just search around and there's a surprising amount of stuff out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online