%$*&$#%^$% Blue Smoke !!!!!!!

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Something let go, now she's spouting blue smoke out the exhaust bad, still starts and runs smooth with good power.

Huge frigging cloud when driving slow around town-cuss Taking off from a stop light is so embarrassing to say the least. Not so bad when wound up on the highway but can still get some blue smoke. Thought we noticed a little yesterday driving around Fayettenam but today was bad....Sumbeach.

I was so pissed I went to Chebby, Dodge and Ford dealers shopping around and almost traded it.

So much for the cosmetic portion of the makeover. Back to the mechanicals.;Pissed

Rebuild or not.........Taking a hard look at dropping in a Cummins 5.9 liter 6BT/6BTA and seriously considering the 3.9 liter 4BT/4BTA. I've driven a few 6000 lb Dodge M37's with the 4BT conversions so I know the power they put out.

Now I gotta get my @$$ back in the shop and start selling everything I own on evilbay to raise some more play money before it :puke: on me

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
dang. seems like it might be something simple if it happened all of a sudden. dont give up hope yet. ask Nick

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey tonkadoc-
if its a turbo seal that let go, I have a core off a '99 here. Pay the ship and its yours.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dang. seems like it might be something simple if it happened all of a sudden. dont give up hope yet. ask Nick

Havn't completely given up but I was too pissed today to mess with it. I'll start checking it tomorrow. If it is bad and needs to be pulled, she's gonna get destroked and have a Cummins or Cat under the hood very soon.

Figure Nick might pop in with a few suggestions tomorrow. I have a few ideas what it might be like the turbo seals, my RDT into the exhaust idea, injector o-rings, cracked rings, bad injector, valve guides or seals, all of the above :confused:

hey tonkadoc-
if its a turbo seal that let go, I have a core off a '99 here. Pay the ship and its yours.

Thanks TC, If it's the seals I'll prolly rebuild it again but with my luck lately I have a sinking feeling the problem is deeper. It will however be the first thing I check.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
That turbo has tasted blood....and wants moore :eek: ......LOL

Damn Mike....kinda all of a sudden ....If memory serves, crankcase pressure was not really an issue before or after the r+r..... cookoo

What color is the fuel in the filter bowl?
Any change in exhaust sound----ticking

Any oil blowing from the dipnstick?.......:popcorn

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That turbo has tasted blood....and wants moore :eek: ......LOL

Damn Mike....kinda all of a sudden ....If memory serves, crankcase pressure was not really an issue before or after the r+r..... cookoo

What color is the fuel in the filter bowl?
Any change in exhaust sound----ticking

Any oil blowing from the dipnstick?.......:popcorn

LOL I'll have to get you some chain mail if you ever get brave enough to touch this turbo again.

Blowby looks the same as it always has. Just finished checking a few things and there's no oil in the fuel filter bowl, no oil blowing out the dipstick and no oil in the turbo inlet or intercooler piping. Exhaust pipe is dry and sooty, no oil residue.

I don't see any evidence of oil being siphoned out the RDT but I did return the crankcase vent back to stock so the only mods right now are the tymar filter, no muffler and the shimmed FPR. Did check the fuel pressure out of curiosity and it's 80 PSI, same as when I did the mod.

Oil doesn't smell like diesel and still has about the same viscosity as new oil in the jug. It's still pretty clear and gold with a hint of soot in it... Roughly 3000 miles on it.

Oil consumption has definatly started.

Injectors have about 3500 miles since they were installed.

There is a ticking like an exhaust leak, bad lifter or injector and it's had it since I bought it. Sure wish I put exhaust gaskets in it when I had it out the first time but hindsight is 20/20.

Pretty much at the limit of what I can check so I've buttoned it back up.

We had a '79 Ford Courier that smoked the same way for 6 years. That thing was so embarrasing to drive but it never let us down.

Time to pull it out of the shop, sell some stuff, get ready and run it till it blows.-cuss

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Turbo... Mine does it too... POS GTP-38r.... Note to everyone... third GTP-38r that leaks past the compressor O rings...

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
I am almost leaning towards a bad injector, o ring, or possible injector cup.
ya did check for play on the turbo wheel.
block the rdt open the oil filter cap
hit wide open and hold look for amount of smoke
according to ford should be less than 4" h20
to check for blowby.
Nick

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am almost leaning towards a bad injector, o ring, or possible injector cup.
ya did check for play on the turbo wheel.
block the rdt open the oil filter cap
hit wide open and hold look for amount of smoke
according to ford should be less than 4" h20
to check for blowby.
Nick

:thanks: Nick.

Yep, checked the turbo and there's no play, compressor whell looks great and isn't making contact with anything either.

RDT has been disconnected and the crankcase vent has been hooked back up factory stock.

:dunnoI'm at the limit of my test equipment for the PSD and I ain't taking it to the Stealership so I can't test the pressure of the blowby or run tests on the injectors.

I can't get it to smoke if my life depended on it today neither before or after I changed the crankcase ventilation. :confused::frustrate

Only thing I notice different is the turbo whistle changed:***: to a higher pitch and more pronounced with swapping out a 4" piece of pipe on the Tymar with the factory plastic pipe with the protrusion for the crankcase ventcookoo.

Heck it sounds better ;Sweet

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
hate to say it, sounds like possibly a CPS
possibility the smoke was unburned/partially burned diesel fuel.:dunno
worst case ya could always put the IDI motor in it.cookoo

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hate to say it, sounds like possibly a CPS
possibility the smoke was unburned/partially burned diesel fuel.:dunno
worst case ya could always put the IDI motor in it.cookoo

If it's the CPS that's no biggie, I do have a spare I can slam dunk into it. What kills me is there was no noticeable miss but I do know the puter can hide a miss too and with my luck will never give me a code.

I havn't discounted dropping an IDIT in it. Be an easy swap.

I've spent my last $1k bill on the stroke and if I have to finally shell out $4- $6k rebuilding or replacing it I'd rather drop in a 12V Cummins, part out the Powestroke engine and the Dodge doner truck on evilbay and use that to finance as much as I can, if not come close to breaking even.

12 valve owner

12valveowner
Reaction score
Just Maybe ?

My friends truck did the same thing, embarissing blue smoke bellowed out of the exhaust, we didnt know what it was so we started to troubledshoot it. Well he just bought the truck and it even had low miles 45,000 well the smoke was real sweet smelling so we went cross country checking fluids and his antifreeze was always low. With no sign of leaking antifreeze. We brought it in and the guy told us the antifreeze ph or concentrate mixture or just old antifreeze whatever you would call was was bad. And it made a hole in the number 8 cylinder. He said this is common in fords so he had antifreeze in his oil. It wa s a expensive fix and was more cheaper buying a new motor. Not sure if thats what happend to yours. He said its common with the 7.3 POWERSTROKE SO CHANGE YOUR ANTIFREEZE. never heard it happening ever again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828