block heater

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Has anyone had to replace their block heater? Mine does not work and tests out to be a completely open circuit. I did a cursory inspection and couldn't even see it. It is getting to that point in the year when I'll need it. thanks

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fortunately, block heaters out here (Ca and TX) are not a big issue. be prepared to drop the starter to make your job easier. Its going to be a interesting job due to the fact it might be corodded into place. get your replacement unit first, so you can see how it tightens down. It might very well become a hammer and long drift issue, so have sandpaper to knock down the rust and a tube of silicone to help the rubber gasket to seal up. One more thing, while you are at it, minus well do the thermostat and gasket since the cooling system is opened up.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
rip van sparky said:
Has anyone had to replace their block heater? Mine does not work and tests out to be a completely open circuit. I did a cursory inspection and couldn't even see it. It is getting to that point in the year when I'll need it. thanks

Mine had a bad plug end.......if you havent already cut the end off and wire a new one up. It would be worth a try and save a lot of work if thats the problem.

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
rip van sparky said:
Alright, plug end first (didn't even occur to me), coolant system surgery second. thanks

Yep, the end didnt have any physical damage to it.....but the block heater was intermittent so I knew there was a bad connection inside the factory plug end. Sure enough when i replaced the end, it worked fine again!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
it can also be the end that plugs into the block heater itself so if you buy a new block heater you might try the new cord first when mine quit the plug was bad at the heater a new cord and its all good now

jvencius

Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
Mine had a bad plug end.......if you havent already cut the end off and wire a new one up. It would be worth a try and save a lot of work if thats the problem.

When the plug end on my block heater broke off, I replaced it with a battery charger receptacle that I bought from the local marine supply shop. I had to drill a hole in the bumper to mount it, but now I don't have a pigtail plug flapping around in the breeze and connecting/disconnecting is a lot easier without having to reach down for the connection. I think the receptacle cost me ~$17 or so and with the hole saw I had to buy, I was out less than $30 for the whole project and that was money well spent. :thumbsup:

Exekiel69

Reaction score
I got it done too there are pics of the connector to mount on the bumper on my page.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online