block heater not working? (brand new)

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brand new block heater, plugged it in last night and woke up and the engine was dead cold. Was not a happy camper. What could be wrong?Extension cord is brand new as well, and i tested the outlet/cord.

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you answered your own question. The block heater sounds like it kicked the bucket a bit early lol. Did you check the cord that plugs into the block heater? Sometimes they can get corrosion on them and not contact properly. BTW, did you get your jasper all straightened out??

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NO if he put coolant in and it's topped up there shouldn't be an air bubble there....

it's simple pull the cord test it with a multi meter if ok...that leaves the heat element or no coolant...rofl...

bout only two things can be really...rofl

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you answered your own question. The block heater sounds like it kicked the bucket a bit early lol. Did you check the cord that plugs into the block heater? Sometimes they can get corrosion on them and not contact properly. BTW, did you get your jasper all straightened out??

i'll update on the jasper when I get a chance, but i DO have the truck back. A bit early is right, first time it was ever plugged in. It better not have corrosion, I bought it from the store last week lol.

ok stupid question...did you fill it back up with coolant?

there's always a wise guy in the crowd LOL

NO if he put coolant in and it's topped up there shouldn't be an air bubble there....

it's simple pull the cord test it with a multi meter if ok...that leaves the heat element or no coolant...rofl...

bout only two things can be really...rofl

I don't know anything about them to be honest. I went to the parts store, bought it and dropped it off at the shop that already had my truck. I didn't think they were too complicated...perhaps the knuckle head didn't plug it in at the engine? I tried to trace the cord back, but it was getting dark so I came in. Is there a way to multi meter test it from the plug end (end hanging out the grille), if so, what reading should I be looking at?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thank you sir. Gonna see if i can find my multimeter now.

edit: crammed the truck in my garage, found my multimeter, had no idea which ohm setting to use. Checked to make sure it was plugged in at the block, it is. hmph

Last edited:

jayro88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check cotinuity at actual heater. If it tests okay, then test the cord from the heater to the grill. Mine wasn't working and I had to repair my cord that goes to the heater. From what I have read, this is a pretty common issue.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.