big big turbos

pullinfarmer95

Reaction score
So to any one and every one what exactly is the biggest turbo anyone has seen or heard about being run as a SINGLE. We arnt talking about streetable here. Pulling or racing. Anything over a 3 inch? I am looking a 3.4in with about an 18cm2 exhaust housing and five inch down pipe with a 40mm external waiste gate. anythoughts and dont worry about camshafting and fuel. its already been maxed out!

this may be interesting!

TPCDrafting

Structural Steel
Reaction score
A friend here tried one of Pier's first HX-55's as a single. This is on a '97 12 valve Cummins, heavily fueled. It dyno'd in the 540 hp range with an HX-40 single. The 55 was terribly laggy, but once it kicked in you'd end up in the back seat without going around the front seat. Too laggy for towing so he took it off and sent it back. He thought it might be good for racing or sled pulling.

Dr. C

Reaction score
Pullinfarmer

Where do ya want your powerband ? What kinda rpm are ya plannin on twistin it ? Can you tolerate a fairly narrow torque curve or are you lookin for a broad curve from 1500-3000 or higher ? Lots of possibilities.

pullinfarmer95

Reaction score
I am thinking that i want the powerup about 3500-4700 rpm. we are talking puling only with billet cam and full race pump and custom injectors and pistons with valve releafes and bowl cut out. you know. full bombing just shy of roller cam(on back of mind) and twins. i like the single game my self.what do you thing Dr. C? or any one else with thoughts!!??and by the way this forum is great. i am new to it and still look every day and learn something interesting.

DSteinel

Reaction score
Kurt Haisley ran a heavily modified S-400 schwitzer at a few pulls last summer, worked good for him and he was prolly runnin about the rpm you are talking about. Dean

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
I thought the Haisleys,Scheids,and Mitchells run down the track at over 6k. That's a lot of turbo for a single. Why not run just an HT3B?

DSteinel

Reaction score
some of them are but not Curt's truck, yet!!! An ht3b only has a 3 inch wheel, that is way smaller than he wants, get on pulloff.com there are lots of chargers of all sizes on there

Last edited:

pullinfarmer95

Reaction score
I would love to twin it but... if i do that it puts me into a different class at the truck pulls. i am paying for this outa pocket and building it my self and i am not that old so money is a little tight and some of the guys pulling with twins dont have a budget at all! cant play thier game. but if it was going to be a street truck twins are the only way and my next truck will have twins. no doubt about that. i almost have my truck back together and i will post some info and mabey some pics when i get it lit up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online