Best winter oil?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Do any of you guys run a different weight(other than 15w-40) oil in the winter?
I am going to change oil soon and would like to put something in that will help her turn over more easily.
I dont have the diesel supplement owners manual so I dont know if they recommend a lighter weight oil for winter. If anybody has this information or any experience running lighter oil, I'd appreciate your input, Thanks!

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I swaped out for 5w-40 rotella synthetic last winter and liked it enough that I run it year round now in my truck and bikes. It has the same hot protection as the 15w-40 but flows much better cold. Noticeably quicker cranking in cold weather. Note that "cold" for me is ~10-35°F. If it gets really really cold where you are you might consider something thinner than 5w-40.

82fordtruck

Reaction score
I run it year round. My truck starts just fine, down to -10. It hasn't been any colder than that, so I don't know, but it starts fine at that temp.

whitestroker

Reaction score
Well why not im runnin 15-40 and lucas at a 60-40 ratio and contrary to popular belief the blue gooser startes just fine ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet ;Sweet

Cowboy_Customs

Rhinestone Cowboy
Reaction score
I have seen in my chiltons and somewhere else to run 10-30 I think for temps consistantly below 30 degrees.
OK i just went and got my chiltons, It says for under 60 in a diesel for 10w-30, and straight SAE30 for above 32 degrees. I am quoting this straight from my 87-96 ford pickups and brono chiltons repair manual
".....Basically a multigrade oil is thinner at low temperatures and thicker at higher temperatures.for example 10w-40 oil (the W stands for winter) exhibits the characteristics of a 10 weight oil when the truck is first started and the oil is cold. Its lighter weight allows it to travel to the lubricating surfaces quicker and offer less resistance to starter motor cranking then, say, a straight 30weight oil. But after the engine reaches operating temp. the 10w-40 oil begins acting like straight 40 weight oil, its heavier weight providing greater lubrication with less chance of foaming then a straight 30 weight oil"
So form your own opinion from that.
I ran, and still do run 15-40 Rotella conventional, in both my personal truck and our good ol Ford 3000 3 cyl. diesel tractor.
I havent ever noticed slow cranking in my truck even when it hit 10 below here, but i plug it in when it gets within +/- 3 degrees of 20. And ive got nice new Neverstart 1000CCA batteries too.

:draw

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
Well,
Thanks for all the comments and advise guys!

I Just changed the oil this weekend with Shell Rotella 10w-30 diesel rated oil.

So it looks like i will be the guinnea pig for this one. Truck seems to like it just fine so far! :thumbsup:

I'll keep everyone posted as to the results I get running the 10w-30.

Black dawg

Reaction score
the last 2 oil changes ive been running the 5w 40 rotella and the difference in cold cranking speed is amazing. last month we had a week or so of -5 to - 20 and truck started with no block heater

whitestroker

Reaction score
;Sweet ok cowgirl were on the edge of our seat!!!!!!!!!!!!Oh ya dont forget the ole 6.9 will crank no matter what ...............lets put some grease in the crank case :thumbsup: ;Sweet :thumbsup: ;Sweet :thumbsup: :D :Whatever:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I tried the 30 weight oil in my 6.9 and found that it consumed more oil between oil changes, than it did with the 15-40. Seems it's thinner, and is allowed past seals and rings easier. I really didn't notice any improved cold weather starting benefit.
I've fired my 6.9 @ -20 F with no block heater & 15-40 in it.

Unless you see temps below zero and can't plug er in. I'd say stick with the 15-40