Best wheel adapters for 99up rims

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who makes good wheel adapters to go from the 8.6.5 lug centric 97down, to the 8x170 hub centric 99up. I seen a lot of people recommend these steel one but 500$ for 2 is just to much for me. Are they any good ones in the 200$ or less range.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
The way I see it, the problem is with your desired price. These aren't econobox cars. They are heavy trucks that most of us like to make even heavier by adding weight to the bed or pulling a loaded trailer. The strength that we need for wheel adapters doesn't come cheaply. I wouldn't trust cheap wheel adapters. Maybe I'm wrong and someone will correct me?

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I bought economical aluminum 2" spacers for the front on my Cummins w250. I've hauled 2tons payload and grossed to 13-14k towing. No issues.

Based on that experience I bought similar aluminum adapters to run aftermarket 8x170 wheels (lug centric). Havent got to using them yet.

That said, I don't like running spacers or adapters on the rear for hauling heavy. YMMV.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whatever you end up buying don't TRUST them. Proper installation seems to be what I hear the MOST issues with.

Inspect them closely for any cracks/bad threads or other defects. Clean the mating surface very well and be absolutely certain they are sitting flush against the rotor/mounting surface with no gap at all. Torque them properly with a torque wrench and I'd recommend some kind of thread locker. I would imagine blue would be ok but you don't want them backing off.

I'd also pull the tires off every few weeks for the first couple months just to make sure nothing loosens up.

My brother in law is running aluminum spacers on Jeep running 37s and they've been fine, but we were careful installing them too.

Everything I've heard about being issues is either they come loose because they weren't torqued properly or they snap off because they were over torqued.

I'd much rather be a little bit paranoid than be in a ditch because my wheel passed me on the highway.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
I use blue/medium loctite when torquing the spacer to the truck.

Edit: I also use aluminum spacers/adapters on a jeep with 30" tires. No issues there.

Daniel McCurdy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The adapters will just be on the front so it wont be subjected to the same weight as the rear. I have a bunch of measuring tools at a machine shop that i can use to check how accurate and well made the spacers are before i put them on. There are the 80-90$ chinese spacers and then there are the 170-190$ made in america spacers both made of aluminum. Does it matter which one i get considering the material is the same and i can check the accuracy.

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering the material is the same

Well.... From what I've seen of some of the Chinese parts, just because they SAY it's the same material doesn't necessarily mean it is. It could be, but I've seen some shady stuff before. Although that doesn't necessarily mean the American made ones will be any better, but at least you'd be supporting OUR economy instead of theirs.

Sorry for being so negative, but when you get taken a couple times on shoddy junk you get a little bit pessimistic, money to do it over isn't always easy to come by.

u2slow

bilge rat
Reaction score
Shoddy junk is everywhere. Not paying extra for "Made in USA" from offshore aluminum.

Pay attention when you receive your stuff, how it installs, and at regular intervals thereafter. Nothing is 'send it & forget it' in my world.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online