Battery replacement

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
My apologies for not getting back in here sooner! Long day for me as it was the last swathing day for the season. ;Sweet

Just put your other tray back in and run 3 batteries, they it'll have no choice but to start in late December.

Gonna try and run a cold air intake into the driver's side fender. Three would be a little overkill I think...if it doesn't start after draining two, there is more wrong than just the batteries!

Bet you need an add-a-leaf on the passenger side :D

LOL That is what my father said, but it actually only adds another 60lbs or so to the other side. My 190lb self evens it out on the driver's side I like to think. :rotflmao

For what it's worth, the stock batts in these trucks were 550 CCA, a single good G31 is double that... I have never installed the drivers side battery tray in my 6.9 truck since I built it... Even at -30 if the truck is plugged in your fine, not plugged, skip the glows, ether it and you're fine... LOL

Really? I was told the stock ones were 850 CCA :dunno...the ones I have in her now are 1000CCA each though ;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
little late since you already changed the batterys (nice looking tray by the way) but i just swapped in dual 31's yesterday and what a differance! i changed the injectors in my truck and bleeding it out showed just how weak my batteries were. i was putting it off since it is not cheap but i am glad i did it.

my truck is a 94 so i actually didnt have the room for the lug adapters on the fender side of the battery so i was forced to upgrade to the wingnut stud setup, darn.:D they are snug but fit. got mine from azone for 99 a piece.

That is true, but the old batteries were toast (dead shorted, seeping acid from the terminals and swelling of the case). I'm relieved to have everything done right for this next set of batteries. Glad to hear about your upgrade, these trucks really need all the juice they can in the colder temps. ;Sweet

I think if I ever wanted to move the batteries, they would go in a box under the toolbox, that would clear up plenty of space under the hood ;Sweet

Ya know, I thought about that too actually. Another user on this forum mounted his on the frame rail to free up some room. But, at the same time, my new setup seemed like the best choice in my situation. I need all the room I can get in the bed too! :rotflmao Oh and with the terrain where I live, I didn't like the idea of scraping a battery off somewhere...that little 2WD can still go into places it shouldn't LOL

Thanks for all the replies guys! It is nice to stand back and admire a finished project with others that share the same interest.

Last edited:

tknomaj

Reaction score
little late since you already changed the batterys (nice looking tray by the way) but i just swapped in dual 31's yesterday and what a differance! i changed the injectors in my truck and bleeding it out showed just how weak my batteries were. i was putting it off since it is not cheap but i am glad i did it.

my truck is a 94 so i actually didnt have the room for the lug adapters on the fender side of the battery so i was forced to upgrade to the wingnut stud setup, darn.:D they are snug but fit. got mine from azone for 99 a piece.

Pictures Please. I would love to see it everything I have read say's Group31 Batteries do not fit in 1993 and up trucks due to hood clearence problems:dunno

A_G

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a possibility of adding 2 group 31s on the passenger side and another on the driver side? Im going to be running a fairly demanding audio system?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Pictures Please. I would love to see it everything I have read say's Group31 Batteries do not fit in 1993 and up trucks due to hood clearence problems:dunno

i will have to remind myself to get some pics!

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
is there a possibility of adding 2 group 31s on the passenger side and another on the driver side? Im going to be running a fairly demanding audio system?

Honestly, it was a tight fit just getting those group 65s to fit like that...I am not sure where you would even start trying to get some 31s in there! :dunno