Ball joints .027" slack

Whit

Reaction score
Doing some general maint to the 01 today, had tires off for rotation with some unusual wear showing so decided to check ball joints, dial indicator shows .019 slack on drivers side and .027 slack on pass side...............anybody know the tolerance spec on these??? I bet it is outa wack, am planning on replacment, What are the best replacment parts and where to get???

Cheers, Kevin

Whit

Reaction score
Well the book says .030 is max but with my unusual tire wear I think I outa start thiinkin bout this job, it has been aligned so I know it aint that.

Hohn

Reaction score
Kev--

I'd replace them. Good ball joints have almost NO SLACK AT ALL.

The BJs on these trucks aren't the best in OEM form. Mine are almost completely gone at 39K miles.

The best BJ package I've come across in my research thus far is the kit from www.quad4x4.com

Justin

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as a tech for dodge/chrysler...i can tell you manufactureres specs for ball joint lateral movement (up and down) is .060" or 60 thousandths for some.. cookoo . there is a 0.00 tolerance for horizontal movement(movement in and out at the top or bottom of the tire) ball joints with very few miles on them will have some lateral movement. its normal. we dont even consider touching them till at least .050" movement.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online