Bad Tranny at 66,000?

powhatan42

Reaction score
I am the proud owner of a 7.3 diesel 2001 F-250 4X4 super duty, who babys this truck. The tranny was seviced at 30,000 and 58,000 miles. I went on a road trip Thursday, and on the way home the tranny started slipping between first and second gear. I went a few miles and pulled off the highway. Iwas fortunate to find a FORD dealer in New Jersey who assisted me. We checked the tranny fluid which was about two quarts low, and we added same. I drove the truck home with the tranny still sliping. Friday I took the truck to Ford, and explained my tranny problems. Ford contacted me several hours later to tell me I needed a new tranny and tranny cooler to the tune of $3700.00. I was also informed that the tranny is not covered by my 5 year 100,000 mile warranty!

Has anyone experiance these premature tranny problems? I expected to get several hundred thousand miles out of this tranny!

Any recalls?

Glenn

justblowin'smoke

Reaction score
ur 5yr warranty should cover it i had a friend who had the tranny crap at 97,000 and it was fords problem. also the tranny could of failed because who ever changed the fluid didn't put the right additives in it.

Mastertech

Car Doc
Reaction score
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I thought the 5 years 100K warranty only covered the engine. The trans is only covered for 3 years 36K unless you have an extended warranty.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Fords extended warranty is 5 years 75k miles. My tranny died at the 76k mile mark.cookoo I had the local tranny shop rebuild it. ;Sweet

powhatan42

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your help! I deceided to go with the Ford remanufactured tranny with a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. A rebuilt tranny was about $2700and with only a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty.

The word on the warranty is 100,000 on the diesel motor.

I did know a hunting guide in Montana who has the twin truck to mine, and when I was there two years ago he told me that he had his tranny rebuilt under the factory warranty ( below 36,000 miles) Smells like there should have been a recall!

fphilli1

fphilli1
Reaction score
Yes I have a 2001 7.3 Excursion and had the same issue with 84K on mine. I worked for Ford and called a few folks I know and they told me that unfortunatly that our powertrain did have issues and most transmissions went prior to warrenty experation. You and I are stuck. I was coming dow a mountain in the Aderondaks upstate N.Y. when mine went. Had it towed to the best transmission place in the area and had the trans R&R for $2200. They said the whole inside was gone including the torque converter. Ford would not do anything for me either.