Aux overdrive idea

electryc_monk

student of life
Reaction score
Battle creek,Mi; Denton/Lewisville, Tx; the truck
Any idea how difficult - mechanically speaking- this idea would be to bring to life?

Instead of using a GearVendor or US Gear aux unit.. why not adapt a old 3 speed from an older 1 ton or 3/4 ton f250/350 or larger chassis? And attach it to what ?

well I have the 99.5 F350 2WD SRW automatic with 3.73 ratio in the rearend.

IF its mounted where the tail shaft was and a set of solenoids for shifting from 1,2, or 3 gear and you'd have theoretically 1St(underdrive),2nd(OD),3rd(Double OD). Or have I forgotten or omitted something in the idea?

thoughts?

FYI i have a few other moding ideas on paper but, figured this was a goood start as any.

(yeah there's the ole saying, "Throw enough $$$ at it and you can do anything." But,I'm trying to do this frugally and with stuff on the shelf as well as thinkoutside the box here)

shade and sweetwater.

deisel379

Reaction score
the problem with using a automatic transmisson in that application. is under load if the solenoid did manage to disingage 1st gear it would never under load engage to 2nd gear o/d though could work with standard trans.

electryc_monk

student of life
Reaction score
Battle creek,Mi; Denton/Lewisville, Tx; the truck
what about a clutch?

What if i had a clutch assmbly that was inbetween the ole 3 spd and the output of the auto?

yes it'dneed a "clutch actuation arm in the cab.... sooo the firewall has to have the metal already welded inplacefor a slight swapping of pedal parts eh????

heck I've already converted a subaru from auto to stick...twice(long story). There have been many threads i've seen over the years of converting other cars from auto's to clutch setups....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online