Autolite Destruction

spyder1100

Reaction score
Yeah, I got mine at NAPA for 10 bucks each. I actually got the 1110's because they had them all in stock, I just got made some adapters with 10 gauge wire, female blade and male bullet connectors. The problem with our system is the glow plugs are only 6 volt plugs. They heat up very quick because they are supplied with 12 volts. They heat quick, but burn out just as fast. The 1110's that I used are 12 volt, self regulating. They don't heat as quick, but don't burn out very easy either. In comparison, I only have to heat for 15 seconds before I start. On the coldest day here. Just over 0*F. Lights off the first time, every time. Like I said, I had them running at 12 volts, 700 amps for about 15 minutes with no problem. I even bumped up to 24 volts for about 15 seconds and they still looked new. No blistering or swelling.

Last edited:

spyder1100

Reaction score
I pulled the plugs out tonite to check them and clean them. Thought I'd take some pictures while I was at it since some were skeptical of the autolite plugs. However, my camera died after the first pic. :frustrate Glad I wasn't on vacation. Got it charging now. I'll post the rest after the camera is done charging. Please note, these are after being in over 2 years, and they are not the factory replacements. Also, this is one of the plugs that were tested as above before I put it in my engine.

Attachments

• P3040035.JPG
    P3040035.JPG
    903.5 KB · Views: 19

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried running GM glows in my 6.9, worked great, but, the sealing taper on the plug doesn't reach the mating surface in the head, and I was leaking compression past them. Only the 12V ones for a 5.7 fit properly and seal.

As for how much juice you can get out of a battery, a pair of good 12V batts in series will give you about 275A of welding power. I'm talking weld 1/2" in a single pass kind of power... Buddy of mine has a Ready Welder, which is a wire feed unit designed for that usage... It's pretty dang slick.