Auto vs Manual which is better

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't care what you haul, nothing that fits in a trailer is close to as heavy as cattle.:backoff

We tow HEAVY, REAL HEAVY, loads that most not familiar with the trade would claim were ridiculous.

I am not saying that there aren't automatics out there that can't launch the loads we haul, in the type of situations where we often get into; but, a few have tried and usually end up having to unload the livestock and head back home with a long face.

The next time they are seen out in public, they have traded to a manual.

One of my main gripes with an automatic is the "lunging" way that they take off, sort of an all-or-nothing plunge.

With any truck that is a manual, big semi or little bitty Toyota, I can move a loaded trailer, forward or backward, CONTROLLABLY, as little as a quarter of an inch.

I can't get an empty automatic truck, even without a trailer, to move, controllably, less than a foot or more at a time, without standing on the brake pedal and playing with the throttle.

When I back against a chute, with a manual truck, I can ease back there and "kiss" it, ever so gently, without so much as a quiver.

It may just be me, but when I try the same with an automatic, I either end up stopping too far away, and then KERBANG against the dock, knocking loose marker lights and causing the big overhead light to shatter and fall to the ground.

To repeat something someone else on here once said, "automatics are for soccer-moms".

rkpatt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Manual durabibilty. E40D automatic convenient and not durable and costly to rebuild.

shorthair

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The easiest way to answer this is to look at semi's that run over 80,000# all are equiped with a manual trans of some sort a few might have a new style of auto shifter but its just a manual that operates its own clutch & shifter once its under way you still need to operate the clutch when starting & stoping.

IDIJunkie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A manual would probably be better for heavy towing, but I haven't had any problems pulling 30,000 ponund with the e4od for years. I think that the key to an auto lasting is keeping the oil cool and clean.

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
I was always convinced Manual is better.Then in snow removal I found an automatic would walk circles around a standard ( time wise) But was less reliable.Next lesson was if U don't drive the manual you're self,Clutches add up.So I wound up with 4 chevys (turbo 350 trans) and 1 manual- occasionally had to put in a rebuilt auto, due to overheating,and my ole 84/C6 f250 wonderful plow truck.It also lost a transmission-In a heavy deep storm the grill packed up full of snow (no air circulation)-overheated the c6 and it was all over in 1 hard 500 ft or so push. 1 chevy was a manul trans,slower then a turtle because it took so long to back up (reverse speed was slow) and it took longer to change directions , from forward to reverse.Production with the auto beat the manual. Main curse of the manual-clutches,and the Auto-expensive overhauls. Never did tear out a manual trans.
On the road I would prefer a manual. when hauling heavy.But I sure am spoiled to not having to shift all the time. My 2 bits.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in WV oregen mike, id rather have an auto though, a good overdrive, i use my trk for play and some work, pull a car on a trailer but like the name inplies, it gats used in the mud as well

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7