Auto Enginuity OBD II scanner won't pull codes on 97 Powerstroke

BigRedWeather

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got an Auto Enginuity OBD II scanner, supposed to be top of the line and I can pull no codes from my 97 even with the Check Engine light on. Then I read on page 14 of the user guide: "Ford '96 - '97 Powerstrokes use the Non-OBD-II Only option because these vehicles have no OBD-II support at all." It appears these trucks exceeded the weight limit that were required to support OBD-II. I carefully followed all the Auto Enginuity instructions to pull the non-OBD-II codes from my truck, and never pulled one code even with the Pedal Position Sensor disconnected, which I know throws a code.

So, what scanner do you use to pull codes on the 96-97 Powerstrokes? Any tricks? Any particular reasons why mine won't pull a single code? Is there a step by step procedure I could go through to determine why I can't pull codes? As it is I have a $370 tool that does nothing for me. Ouch!

BigRedWeather

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From the drop down menu, did you select the J1850 PWM protocol. Are you using a separate power supply to your computer, not from vehicle batteries? In the Vehicle Selection window, try retreiving the VIN, select the year, make and model.

sassyrel

Reaction score
i tried my snap on scanner on mine,,the neighbor tried his damn high dollar one[hes a full time all brands mech,,and good] and neither of us could pull them,,neighbor said to go to ford,,i did,,the friend of mine pulled the codes in less than 10 mintues of driving..30 smacks..was happy..oh well...heighbor said some scanners wont pull the codes,,,,,,,,,,

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online