ATF For the E40D?

dRock96f450

Reaction score
Hello,

I am hearing much debate on whether to use Mercon or Mercon V in an E40D. Ford has recently discontinued Mercon, and will stop sale of it next June saying "All transmissions recommending Mercon ATF can now be serviced with Mercon V,” “Mercon V is a tighter specification, requiring better anti-oxidation, antiwear and anti-shudder properties from service-fill ATFs. We are doing this because we want to ensure our customers get the better fluid."

It has ben my understanding for years that Mercon V in an e40d would insue certain death upon it. We had a transmission replaced a few years ago and it died 6 months later, following disassembly they found the 'clutch linings dissolved,' 'the wrong fluid type was used, the warranty is void.' Luckily, it was just an incompetant shop who put the Merc V in, not us, so they had to fork over the $3k+ for the new transmission. This made us FIRM believers in the incompatibility of Mercon V in an e40d/4r100, to say the least!

What has changed to make MerconV compatible all of the sudden, or is Ford just trying to make some bucks replacing all of our trannies? :D

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

adrianspeeder

USAF C-17 Avionics
Reaction score
IDK, the powertrain engineer I talked to before said that the E4OD/4R100 can not have friction modifiers that are in Mercon V for the 4R70w/4R75e.

I'm stocking up on regular Mercon.

You must be registered for see images attach

Also about 50 of the soon to be gone outstanding Motorcraft oil filters...

Adrianspeeder

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they lied, fluid will not toast an e4od, the reman transmissions are junk, and i have seen them go out within months and/or less then 30k

perfect example, guy who hauls car 2wd dually 02 7.3 truck, original e4od lasts him 317k, finally blows, a dealer puts in a reman trans, doesnt last him 20k miles, the 3rd trans has held up a little longer for him, but you get the idea, the reman's dont compare to the originals, hands down.

the 93 7.3 dump truck i plowed in last year, has merc 5 never had one problem all season and the trans is still holding to this day

Last edited:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best bet is to contact bob at www.dieselsite.com .and pick up a 5 gallon pail of amsoil fluid from him.im not a synthetic believer but the stuff he sold me with my monsterbox seems to be working just fine.i believe it was the amsoil powershift fluid that i bought from him.

Mont91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The original mercon V was not backward compatable so they changed the formulation and color of bottle. My brother in law owns a tranny shop and they use the merc/dec fluid with an additive for merc V or other simular applications.

96_Bear

Shane
Reaction score
I have been using NAPA trans fluid for that past 4yrs at 274000 I still have the same part in the tranny. but I did have to repalce the TC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online