Anyone here in NC that could help me?

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
I need to hook up a electric fuel pump and I am not to good with electronics with these trucks. And I dont have the money to take it somewhere. So I need someone to actually come over and help me out. I can pay you in Faygo, deer sausage and herbs.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh man it's super simple....

Ground....

Power from a key on point with a fuse and yer golden...

Nothing difficult what so ever and ya save that find sausage for the bbq after yer done with a nice fine drink of hops

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Oh man it's super simple....

Ground....

Power from a key on point with a fuse and yer golden...

Nothing difficult what so ever and ya save that find sausage for the bbq after yer done with a nice fine drink of hops

Sounds simple and all. But I am not sure where to get a key on power source.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This should help. Here is the link to the tech article. Its a facet duralift pump but that doesn't matter.

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...pump-with-a-Facet-Duralift-electric-fuel-pump

In short, you need power from the battery (preferably with a fuse). Wire to chasis for ground. You can get the key on signal from the fuel shut-off solenoid. Its really simple and its a good project to get your feet wet. The electrical is the easy part. Don't let it scare you off. ;Sweet

sjwelds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I. HATE. ELECTRICAL WORK.

I installed a Facet Duralift on my truck. If I can do it you can too.

The thread linked to above is the one I utilized for reference.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
Ya, I am just having troubles with what the relay goes to and all. How does it sit, is it plugged into the fuse box under the dash, etc? The pics are great, but I still dont quite get what the positive wire is doing. I will look at the truck some more to see if I can figure it out.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will be adding a free standing relay. No plug into the dash. Here is your wire paths. If you use a standard Bosch style relay it will have either 4 or 5 posts on it labeled with numbers. Bosch style is what was shown in that tech article. Its a little cube with spade lugs sticking out of it. Just mount it somewhere safe and reasonably dry under the hood. You will need some female spade connectors (preferably insulated) to connect to the relay.

Fuel shutoff ----------------> Relay 85
Ground ---------------------> Relay 86
Battery pos ----------------------> Fuse (10amp probably) ----------------> Relay 30
Relay 87 --------------------> Pos Fuel pump
Neg fuel pump--------------> Ground (chassis)

That should get it done for you.

The battery possitive you can pull from your starter solenoid on the fender. The key on pos can come from the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump. Just cut and splice it in there preferable with solder and a heat shrink but if you must; butt connect and heat shrink will get the job done. Ground can be anything metal on the truck. A sheetmetal screw through the inner fender or something with a ring terminal will do fine. Probably want to run 18 gauge wire minimum but 14 would be better. And use stranded. Don't try to use solid core house wire stuff. Go get a roll of primary wire from a parts store or even Wally world usually has it all.

Somebody else please look at all this and make sure I didn't screw up.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
You will be adding a free standing relay. No plug into the dash. Here is your wire paths. If you use a standard Bosch style relay it will have either 4 or 5 posts on it labeled with numbers. Bosch style is what was shown in that tech article. Its a little cube with spade lugs sticking out of it. Just mount it somewhere safe and reasonably dry under the hood. You will need some female spade connectors (preferably insulated) to connect to the relay.

Fuel shutoff ----------------> Relay 85
Ground ---------------------> Relay 86
Battery pos ----------------------> Fuse (10amp probably) ----------------> Relay 30
Relay 87 --------------------> Pos Fuel pump
Neg fuel pump--------------> Ground (chassis)

That should get it done for you.

The battery possitive you can pull from your starter solenoid on the fender. The key on pos can come from the fuel shutoff solenoid on the injector pump. Just cut and splice it in there preferable with solder and a heat shrink but if you must; butt connect and heat shrink will get the job done. Ground can be anything metal on the truck. A sheetmetal screw through the inner fender or something with a ring terminal will do fine. Probably want to run 18 gauge wire minimum but 14 would be better. And use stranded. Don't try to use solid core house wire stuff. Go get a roll of primary wire from a parts store or even Wally world usually has it all.

Somebody else please look at all this and make sure I didn't screw up.

Great info. This should be part of that other thread. Since I dont have any of the electrical tools I will have to have it all mounted up and grounded then just take it to my diesel man to have him finish it off. Or maybe I can get my brother (electrical engineer) to come down and help me out.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PURCHASE the tools...if you need them for this...you'll need em for something else.

Remember you did not know how to read, or type or search internet untill you learned...you can learn this too;Sweet

gandalf

Reaction score
I would agree with the above wiring, though I did mine slightly differently. I reversed 85 and 86. No matter. That's only a switch, in one side and out the other.

I've always found that pictures help. I'll paste a couple in here.

First, the power source. That's the relay on the passenger side fender. I'm taking power with the wire which goes off to the right, with an in-line fuse on it.

attachment.php

I'm controlling the power flow with the switch, activated by the key-on power from the Injector pump. Fir this one, be sure to connect to the forward spade connector.

attachment.php

Both of those wires go to the new relay, wherever you want it to be.

attachment.php

Those two wires, plus the ground on the new relay, take up 3 of the connectors on that new relay. The 4th connector goes to the electric fuel pump, which again must be grounded.

Attachments

• DSCF0709.jpg
    DSCF0709.jpg
    637.8 KB · Views: 46
  • DSCF0710.jpg
    DSCF0710.jpg
    521.8 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCF0712.jpg
    DSCF0712.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 46

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need a pair of wire crimpers. That's probably $20 for a good set. Home Depot or lowes sells them. Klein or channelock brands are great. A decent wire stripper is handy but not required. Can just get a multipurpose electrical plier that will do it all really cheap but it's not the greatest.

Thanks for the pics Gandalf.

jaed_43725

Need Quad Cab 4x4
Reaction score
You need a pair of wire crimpers. That's probably $20 for a good set. Home Depot or lowes sells them. Klein or channelock brands are great. A decent wire stripper is handy but not required. Can just get a multipurpose electrical plier that will do it all really cheap but it's not the greatest.

Thanks for the pics Gandalf.

I could do it the simple way. But my brother has all the cool heat shrink and soldering iron and such. The truck runs great as it is. So I can afford to hold off.