Any ideas whats wrong

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought my truck back in May. Was hard to start and always smelled like I took a diesel bath after driving it. I have replaced GP, repair GP harness, Install new GP controller, new injectors, and return lines. Truck starts great! sounds good at idle and I don't smell like diesel as much (think the fabric in the seats holds in the diesel smell since my wife only smells it on the back of my shirt).

Here is my current issue, After installing the new parts it feels like the truck lost some of its edge. Before it seems like the truck always wanted to try to spin the rear tires.(run like a cheetah) Since the new parts it calmed the truck down (runs like 3 legged dog) Doesn't feel as much torque is there like before.
I did some reading on here and found that the tach sensor could be causing some of my issues since it's not working correctly. SO I bought a new one and put it in Truck idles at 700-800 (just glanced at it) It seems to shift better but so far I only driven it 7 miles if that. Tomorrow I'll be going a little further. I have also noticed my MPG is not as well since the new parts on.

I was told by my fleet mechanic that I didn't need to change the IP it should be fine. (I own a small plumbing business and just pay the mechanic to work on my vans. Tax write off plus vans are a PITA to work on and I'm no mechanic)

Tach sensor has never worked correctly on the truck since I've owned it.

I drive will be driving this every morning to take kids to school. Trying to get best performance out of it.

Not sure if this is important to know. At start up it puffs a little smoke gray color which I believe is normal.

As I get on it to pass someone it lets out black smoke which is normal. But it doesn't roll out black smoke more like a smoker opening his mouth and letting the smoke come out on it's own (puff) If I punch it from a dead stop no smoke it seem to only do it after it locks in?

My exhaust is bent to a oval shape at the exit of the tail pipe (looks like rear tire blew and damaged it before I bought it)

Thank you
Michael

ToughOldFord

The Cold Glow-Plug
Reaction score
Probably those new injectors, they have a higher pop point then the old wore out ones and the old IP is having problems making the grade. Either put the old injectors back in or replace the IP.

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I purchased Delphi injectors through rockautoparts I've purchase almost every part for this truck through them (parts seem to be fine from them) I had to get a few parts from ford due to no aftermarket ones available ( heat shield and tach sensor)

Is there special tools required for timing or is it just a feel and listen technique? I'm far from a auto mechanic but learning. Truck runs fine just feels weakish

If it's a new IP I need any suggestions of brand. (Stock motor) MY WIFE IS GOING TO KILL ME! I have already spent a grand in parts for this truck and only had it since May. (Dead man walking) lol New Moog tie rods and alignment done on it too

3Kp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why did you ask about where I got the injectors?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
There's some less than stellar shops out there that supposedly rebuild injectors.
I'm not sure about the rock auto injectors, so I can't comment there.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of the less than stellar shops can be found in the hall of shame, those companies and shops should be avoided like plague. I bought a set of bb code injectors from dcp(dcpcart.com), my truck went from a slight hiccup to flat out fuel knock at anything above 1250 rpm. Pretty much undrivable at the moment, rock auto, Napa and and local auto parts places usually have good quality but won't go the extra mile like mel(Conestoga diesel injection), type4, and R&D idi performance will send you a quality set that has been pop tested to have the same pop pressure within (usually) +/- 50 - 100 psi of each other.

gandalf

Reaction score
The previous poster mentioned the "Hall of Shame", but neglected to tell you where to find it. It's located among the stickies at the top of this section of the forum. Members have had some significantly bad experiences with some shops, dealers, parts houses, and have written up those experiences for the rest of us. The idea is to warn each other and to learn from other's hard experiences.

The two most favored suppliers here have already been mentioned. They are Typ4, out here in the northwest, and Mel at Conestoga Diesel in Pennsylvania. Both offer superior products, and have proven themselves to be very trustworthy.