Any AUTOCAR truck fans out there?

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
My dad had old Autocar when I was born I think it was a 1965. Man I loved riding in that truck. I'll see if I can find a pic of it.

Freightrain

Just "B" it........
Reaction score
We got a couple oldies still running around town. One has bi-centennial paint scheme on it(red/white/blue with stars), pretty neat piece and well taken care of.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a tow company out in the east coast that is still running a 4axle heavy with a holmes 1801 on the back. its a beautiful truck. I think he even showed it at the Baltimore tow show a few years back. If you gotta have pics in your collection, check out www.tow411.net and its in there.

dondiesel444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my Dad has a 94 Autocar which is also a Volvo or White I guess, but he also had an older late 60's-early 70's Autocar, which he called "AWFULL-CAR" b/c they were the biggest POS trucks on the road!! his didn't even have maxi-brakes, if the truck lost air pressure thats it, you were gonna crash into something. it was a big monster of a truck!

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, that would be the first time I ever read anything negative about Autocar.

I always thought they were considered a "premium" level truck, like Pete or KW.

Jarlaxle

Bregan D'aerthe
Reaction score
A cement company in Boston (Aggregate Industries) has a bunch of Autocar 10-wheelers & a few tri-axles as cement trucks. They have tags saying "Volvo-White Heavy Truck Corporation" unde rthe driver's door.

There are a couple guys who haul containers in & out of the Boston port with old platform-fender day-cab Autocars still running non-turbo smoker diesels. One truck is old enough (1967-older) it had to have side marker lights retrofitted.

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A concrete company in my area still runs old at least a dozen Autocar triaxles. Man those things are BIG.

Long nose hoods with the headlights on the fenders.

Sbrem

Reaction score
Originally posted by Duke
Huh, that would be the first time I ever read anything negative about Autocar.

I always thought they were considered a "premium" level truck, like Pete or KW.

I had never heard anything bad about them either. I don't know about the later ones when they were Volvos, but as far as the "real" Autocars I had thought they were a great truck.

Stephen

NJKen

is a daddy!
Reaction score
I spent a few months driving an 85 Autocar rolloff. In that time I determined that I HATED that truck. Overall they did have some of the best (meanest!) looking trucks on the road! Ol autocars had the aperance that they where made of cast iron!
Ken

camara

Reaction score
Making someone a custom pair of Cement Shoes
I had a 1970 DC-87 and a 1971 DC93. They took a beating doing trash in Boston. Retired them in 1985 when I bought a new DK64B with an Atlas rolloff hoist. Rode a little hard but it would run the needle off the speedo. Boy I loved that truck!

dt4666man22

Reaction score
There is a Dozer Company around here that Has a late 50's autocar tri axle for towing a couple D6 Cat dozers on a low boy. They also have a 60's Brockway still running.

I saw them running together from a deadstop side by side from about 1/8th of a mile away on my way home from school the other day. They took off from the light with 2 dozers on each trailer. By the time they past me at the intersection you could not see half the of the trailers. Smokin like crazy. Love seeing those old rigs. The best part is they keep them polished up and lookin good. Big 6" stack. they sound sweet strait piped

DBogo

Reaction score
i love them old autocars they were great looking trucks and on the brockway subject they were made around here not to far from me in cortland ny there is still quite a few of them on the road here

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Ok I finally got a pic of my dads 1965 Autocar. It had a 903 Cummins, then a 318 GMC. 15 speed trans and an air lift tag axel. He also installed a Mack sleeper. He owned the truck until 1980. He hauled steel from Pittsburgh PA to Buffalo NY and Chicago IL. This picture was taken about 1978 before he sold it. Man I miss that old truck. Mom always said when ever I got to ride along. I'd tell my dad "Let'er go dad" Then he'd wind up that old GMC and off we'd go. Memories rock!

Attachments

• autocar.jpg resize.jpg
    autocar.jpg resize.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 21

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online