Another problem on a different car

Meta6981

Reaction score
Well since my main vehicle helga is down for the cocunt untill i can get her a new radiatior i was driving my brothers benz which is a NA om 617 in a euro model w123. Manual everything. The problem is electrical but i don't know where to look. For one thing the alternator is going out if not dead already, which should be replaced this weekend. But the problem is that only the oil pressure gauge is working, the directionals don't want to turn on, nor do the brake lights, Also the four ways do work, as well as the running lights and headlights. Checked all the fuses none seem to be blown. The gauges and the signals were working agian earlier this week for like 20 min. then they stopped working again and have not been on since. ANy ideas??

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does ANYTHING that only turns on with the key work? (i.e. glow plugs, cigarette lighter {which M-B for some reason decided to have on only with the key at ON}, etc)

If not, there may not be anything wrong with the alternator...the whole problem might be with the wiring. I don't recall exactly how the alternator ties into the system on these cars, bu it's not inconceivable that a wire or connection's gone bad and thus killed power to everything except the stuff that's constantly hot...which, depending on where the alternator charge line goes, could also keep the alternator from charging the battery.

Just something to consider...hopefully that post made sense (it's almost 0400 and I've been awake WAYYY too long)...

Meta6981

Reaction score
No there is defineatly something wrong with the alternator because there is no charge comeing from it and the headlights went out last night luckily i had seth in front of me so i could run with them off and the batt light was on. seth should be checking it this weekend so i am having to drive the dodge for a few days.

79 300sd

Reaction score
On 116 and 126 cars the gauges and brake lights share the same fuse. Maybe it is the same for a 123.

Have you upgraded to the copper/brass fuses. Got them on ebay from a seller named gabe something.
I used to have a lot of intermittent electrical problems when I was using the aluminum fuses.

Meta6981

Reaction score
UPDATE: So changed out the alternator today and deen driving it holding steady at about 13 amps while idleing and 12.35ish at rest, Wiggles the fuses around and the lights and everything is working again so thanks for all the responses

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac