alternator question

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do a large case 3g swap, it is stupid simple - The fact that I did it being perfect evidence... Lots cheaper than what you picked out, and the 3g has a built in regulator...

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
what does that alternator come off of?

If it is the same alternator that there is a tech article on it is way more expensive than the one i just bought.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is the one off the tech article, junkyards have them all over. I think I paid 20 bucks for mine.

As to what vehicles they come on, I don't remember off hand - Taurus and some vans I think.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, you will - I'm assuming you will have to for the new regulator. The old regulator is mechanical, new ones aren't. Do you know if the harness matches a new regulator?

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
the pins are in different places but there are only two if the picture is right i wont have the alternator in hand until monday night because it is on order.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I meant on the regulator - you mentioned you'd have to upgrade the regulator...

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the napa part number? I can't get the link to work. Is this some sort of aftermarket alternator?

RAY 2135021

It appears to be an overwound OEM style alt with the external fan.

All I can say, there is a reason why they don't come factory with that much wire....

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what it's supposed to fit originally? I do not recognize what type it is. I thought maybe it had the regulator built in already.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what it's supposed to fit originally? I do not recognize what type it is. I thought maybe it had the regulator built in already.

It is OEM style, ambulance package w/external regulator - per NAPA

Just a stock type overwound alt

redneckaggie

rebel w/o a cause
Reaction score
it is an ambulance pakage alternater but i have pretty much decided to forget it and try a 100 amp alternator and if that wont work then i will do the 3g mod does anybody happen to know what years and models the internally regulated alts came on every time i search i cant seem to find it.

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All 3g alts are internally regulated

92 Inline 6 ford vans supposed to have them
3.8? Taurus too, stay away from the more common 3.0 though

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3G alternator came on 91 up Lincolns and Windstars with the 3.8 L engines. Look for one with two big holes (130A) between the fins as opposed to four small ones (95A). You don't have to cut any wires since you are getting rid of your external regulator. You will have to purchase a connector, but it's available at the local auto parts, O'reillys or whatever. I used a 4 ga battery cable for a charge wire and just replaced the ends with lugs to fit. I also had to do some very minimal filing on the three (I think) ribs to clear the pulley. I did the swap when my regulator crapped out and it was cheaper to do a 3G than buy a new regulator. All in all it's really a piece of cake.