Air in my fuel filter 94 idi turbo

Mason

Reaction score
I got a 1994 Ford F-250 with the 7.3 turbo. We did a new complete motor reman swap with brand new injection pump, injectors, glow plugs, caps o-rings and return lines. New fuel filter housing with a one piece fuel filter Brand new supply line and o rings from the fuel filter to ip. Swap to an electric lift pump with a bypass from the manual pump straight to the filter. Everything that I know of has been replaced but one cap.(it’s a cap on Driver’s side that is a T shape that runs to the passenger side)

Somehow there still ends up being air in the fuel filter if you let it sit longer than an hour. If it’s completely bled it will fire up without any hesitation! No stuttering or anything. It runs like a boss, unless it sits, then you have to rebled the system and have to give her a little starting fluid to get her to run.

I’m in search for help, this is my first diesel and I personally don’t know a lot about these. Anybody know what else I can possibly do or thoughts??

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
I'm fighting the same battle on a '93 IDIT.
In order to isolate the problem, I ordered (Amazon) a few fuel rated check valves (5/16" and 3/8") and an additional return line kit (for spare parts like your T connector).
Smell what I'm cookin'?
Good luck.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Your fuel heater on top of the fuel filter head could be leaking. It's sealed with an o-ring. Check to see if there is any wetness on top of the filter head.

RollCoal

Reaction score
I have an 88 idi, had the same thing after sitting about an hour. Bought a diesel fuel check valve and installed it inline just before the pump, ( I am still running off the mechanical) but this solved the problem!

Slicknik

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree the fuel heater on the fuel filter is a spot to check, I sealed mine with JP weld and swapped all the o rings in the fuel return lines and the injectors and that solved my fuel intrusion leak. Also check your fuel pump.
I live in socal so I don't need the fuel heater.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thamojster

Members online