adjust steering gear box

hjalbert

Reaction score
will the screw on top of the power steering gear box adjust it and take out looseness by moving the gears closer together? (or something like that) Someone told me I could do this, to get rid of the slop in my steering, but wanted to double check first. If so, any details on the procedure? (1985 f350 2wd cc srw)

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's the sector gear adjustment. Check the rest of the steering components for wear and fix those before fooling with the gear box.

Adjustment procedure - Front wheels straight ahead, loosen jam nut, turn center bolt until it LIGHTLY bottoms, then while holding the center bolt tighten the jam nut.

Disclaimer - the gears wear most in the straight ahead position. In a severely worn box, when the box is adjusted tight in the straight ahead position, it can BIND in turns. After adjustment, CAREFULLY test drive truck for any steering bind. If there is any, back off the adjustment until the binding is gone.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I'd echo Roboto, but would recomend jacking the front end up off the ground then turning the wheel lock to lock to check that there is no binding. Adjustment can't make up for a worn out steering box, but it might be able to take a little bit of play out. Also check ball joints, tie-rod ends, rag joint etc while your at it.

good luck

jauguston

Retired
Reaction score
Adjusting the mesh can possibly tighten up the steering quite a bit. My '86 E-350 had 35,000 actual miles when I bought it last summer. It wandered bad. I turned the mesh screw in almost three turns while jacked up to watch for excessive binding. It drives much better now.

Jim

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
The torque spec for the steering box is 18 INCH lbs of input, to get output movement. Think about it, that's about finger tight.

I wouldn't monkey with it, untill you repair whats worn in your steering linkage. I replaced the drag link and inner tie rod end, on my 85. The improvement was dramatic.
They didn't show much any play in them, but after 300K miles.....

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
Add to the list the slip joint in the telescoping sterring shaft mine was badly worn couldnt find the play till one day I was fiddiling around and happen to look at it while someone wqas rocking the wheel.I cheated and temporally welded the slip joint till I got it home to change it. cookoo Un safe in an accident but sure drove like new.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
i've seen the binding thing hapen to a buddy in college.
he overtightened the screw on his 72 f-350 against the teacher instructions and he ended up snapping the shaft off the end of the box :eek: ,in the middle of a blinding snow storm.so here we are,kicking the tires so we could get that tank of 72 f-350 off the road.then walk a about 5 miles back to campus,ahh college,good times,good times :D

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's DEFINITELY an adjustment that needs to be made carefully. I also found out the hard way that if you do not tighten down the jam nut good, power steering fluid comes out around the adjustment stud!!!!

As to the steering damper, it's just a 50/50 shock absorber. They basically make the steering "harder" at anything other than very low steering rate, and are intended to help guard against bump steer caused by hitting potholes, etc. They might help slow down "wander" in a vehicle with worn components, but it would only be a band-aid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online