A solution for your floppy sun visors

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Maybe this should be a tech article so it doesn't get lost. However, there's not much tech about a sun visor. I've been bothered by floppy sun visors in my '86 dually crew cab for years, and have tried a couple solutions, but this is the one that really works.

Buy those strong rare earth magnets from your local carpentry tool shop or eBay. The ones I used were about the size of a nickel, but a little thicker. All you do is put a magnet up on the plastic-covered interior trim piece above the windshield and swing your visor over to the magnet. The magnet sticks to the steel in the windshield trim piece, and also attracts the steel in the edge of the sun visor. You are done! No velcro, no glue, no nothin'. You can use the visor in any position. If you want, you can even put a magnet on the door window trim piece if you want to swing the visor over to the side.
No more floppy, swinging sun visors ever again!

I credit this tip to John Walker of San Diego, who figured it out while we were sittin' around the camp fire on a fishin' trip.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bet the magnets work better than the bungee cords that have been holding mine still the last fifteen years or so.

:dunno I don't know why they are called sun-visors; I thought they were put there to hold sunglasses, inkpens, license-receipts, and to hide the wires going to the C.B.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sun visors used to do a good job of keeping me awake by swinging around and hitting me in the head every five seconds. They also used to make me scrunch down in the seat so I could see under them. Made my back sore.

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another tip. If your magnet isn't quite thick enough to get good contact with the leading edge of the visor, you can use a "short stack" of them to bring the contact position out where it should be.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online