a drop-in lighting option for bullnose (80-86) trucks.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've always wanted a better option for the 80-86 trucks but there are trade-offs to the choices. you can do the brighter bulb and relay option, but the wiring is complex and the relays do have a service life of two to three years.
Here's an alternative. "Truck lite" makes a LED drop in kit that meets and exceeds DOT regulations and not blind oncoming traffic. An added bonus is the amp draw. look at the specs! Designed At: 12.8v, 1.80a (low beam), 3.60 amps (high beam). Now factory wiring can handle that!
Yes, there is a downside. cost. it will leave you sitting on your ass gagging on the price.
click on the amazon linky but look at "Ruger_556's" light dispersal pic and ask yourself...."what is my safety worth?"
http://www.amazon.com/Truck-Lite-27450C-Rectangular-Headlamp-Reflector/dp/B007ED7HNY

Attachments

• ruger556a.jpg
    ruger556a.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 159

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, those have sure come down from near 900 for round 7" I saw a year ago, that's sweet!

For what you get it's pretty darn good price, when you start comparing to LED light bars etc.

Thanks for the link, now find same for OBS and Brick nose would ya!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not that bad of price IMO. all the more reason i need a bull isntead of a brick!
lightoutput looks awesome!

FordGuy100

Reaction score
What is the lm output? I'm sure its much higher than a standard bulb, but I wonder by how much. Never have to buy bulbs again! Just think...if you average 70mph for daytime plus nightime driving (35mph for each, total of 70) the things should last well over 2 million miles! Out last the truck.

kc0stp

30 Hour Famine
Reaction score
JW Speaker makes a set as well that's as good or better depending on who you ask (what I plan on doing for the Miata when the sealed beams go out) and for those that don't know they also make HID conversions for sealed beam lights as well. (over on fullsizebronco.com a vender makes HIDs for OBS and slant)

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Looks nice but $400+ is a lot for headlights. $200 at most I might be able to swallow but I''ll probably do relays and either halogen or some other better traditional light. I have done LED for most other lights on the truck though... Dash, taillights, interior...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Looks nice but $400+ is a lot for headlights. $200 at most I might be able to swallow but I''ll probably do relays and either halogen or some other better traditional light. I have done LED for most other lights on the truck though... Dash, taillights, interior...

The run of the mills H4 Bulb costs around $25 a set. But when bulbs only last this long...

*Just an example pulled of the internet*
9004 Standard 320 / 150
9004 Long Life 850 / 250
H4ST SilverStar 150 / 50

Compare that to 20-30K hour lifespace. It would make up for it eventually.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My streamlight Strion LED flash light I can feel the heat, I've seen LED's melt snow...we aint talking taillight LEDs here but real HO ones they make some heat ...could maybe melt snow...not sure...

Do like Benz...washers n wipers for headlights.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Considering how much I drive it at night (almost never), I think I will wait a while before making this upgrade. By then the price will probably have dropped considerably.

When big flat screen TVs came out in the late 1990s, a 42" cost $14,000. Now they are about $500 (maybe less). If the demand is there for these lights, the price will drop enough to make it a no-brainer.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Oh wow thats so cool. And not too expensive. Ill be searching for a aussie sealed beam headlights for my brick nose to make this perfect :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Oh wow thats so cool. And not too expensive. Ill be searching for a aussie sealed beam headlights for my brick nose to make this perfect :)

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

I think they use a 5x7" housing like these, except they have a different moulding setup to fit into. If I knew how to do casts and ABS plastic, I would be tempted to try to replicate and make them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86