A crazy idea for waste oil that might just work

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
So now that it's dropping into the high 20's overnight here it takes a good long while for my truck to be able to switch over to my 45 gallon waste oil tank because the engine needs to have time to warm up. I have a arctic fox fuel pick in it and a vegtherm mega post pump pre-filter.

I was thinking that if in addition to my plug in block heater if I got one of these:
http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/...Id-100000206202/Pr-p_CATENTRY_ID:100000206202

that it would also keep my waste oil thank (which is plumbed with a coolant heat exchanger) more fluid than it would be other wise and allow me to switch over to waste oil in shorter order. In fact I'd plumb it in on the line to the heat exchanger w/o going through the block first.

Has anyone ever used on of these?

Last edited:

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
so say if you plumb that into your coolant lines and plug it in when you get home for the night it should keep you coolant warm all night? did it have a pump or is it gravity.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
so say if you plumb that into your coolant lines and plug it in when you get home for the night it should keep you coolant warm all night? did it have a pump or is it gravity.

It has an internal pump. it's meant as a block heater, but I already have one. I'd put in 3 way valves to shut off my coolant recirculating beyong my 45 gallon rear tank in order to keep it warm. I should calculate the costs of running this thing based on KWH.

If it can heat an 8 cylinder block in 2-3 hours, it should be able to warm up 45 gallons of waste oil in that time to at least room temp.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
Ok, so not so good. A KWH is $.05546 here. 3 hours @ 1500 watts would be somewhere in the $6.00 range. $6.00 a night is 'spensive.

Call it a no-go idea.

Reefdiver72

Sludge Slinger
Reaction score
We are taking diesel heaters that run on diesel that pump coolant through motors and mounting these to the frame on city trucks we run copper tubing throught the fuel tank and then back to the heater pump and when it gets below 40 degrees this kicks on and heats the fuel tank and the motor they use very little diesel and are plumbed into the tank that you are keeping warm. They are working well I am running 95%hydraulic oil in my truck and have had no problems starting it in fact I dont even need glow plugs now.

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
any chance for a link to the heaters themselves?

We are taking diesel heaters that run on diesel that pump coolant through motors and mounting these to the frame on city trucks we run copper tubing throught the fuel tank and then back to the heater pump and when it gets below 40 degrees this kicks on and heats the fuel tank and the motor they use very little diesel and are plumbed into the tank that you are keeping warm. They are working well I am running 95%hydraulic oil in my truck and have had no problems starting it in fact I dont even need glow plugs now.

oregon-mike

Reaction score
Ok, so not so good. A KWH is $.05546 here. 3 hours @ 1500 watts would be somewhere in the $6.00 range. $6.00 a night is 'spensive.

Call it a no-go idea.

Maybe I'm all wet with regard to rates (wouldn't be the first time), but I read that as: it costs 5.546 ¢ per kilowatt hour (KWH)...3 hours at 1,500 watts (1.5KW) is 4.5 KWH. 4.5 KWH * 5.546 ¢= 25¢, not $6.00....

Mike

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I called the utility to ask, right around $6.00 supposedly. Now that I'm doing the calcs myself I think you're correct. Weird - maybe not so bad after all.

Maybe I'm all wet with regard to rates (wouldn't be the first time), but I read that as: it costs 5.546 ¢ per kilowatt hour (KWH)...3 hours at 1,500 watts (1.5KW) is 4.5 KWH. 4.5 KWH * 5.546 ¢= 25¢, not $6.00....

Mike

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat

Members online

No members online now.