A/C PRESSURE SWITCH ???

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My compressor is factory FS-6 and it has no pressure switch, only the on-off wire plugged into the clutch.

The pressure switch I am talking about is screwed in the black, upright "can" in the right rear corner, above the fender.

I got my problem fixed.

I screwed out the pressure switch and it had a bunch of black crud built up in the switch.

I took a piece of paper-towel and a small probe and cleaned out this gunk.

Screwed it back on and problem solved.

A check of the pressure with gauges showed plenty of gas in the system.

Maybe my experience will help someone else.

Thanks for the replies.

patternman

Reaction score
The Warden said:
Do you have any overall shots of the engine compartment? I'd love to see a shot of the heater box assembly on the engine side...that'll help determine whether your setup is a factory one with a different compressor (something a previous owner did, maybe?) or if it's dealer-installed.

Attached is a pic that is most of under hood area.

towcat said:
bite the bullet and have your system pressure checked. if the clutch is engaging when the switch is bypassed, there is a very good chance your system is low on freon. prolonged running with low freon will result in a burned up compressor. the switches do fail but not as often as you want to think.
You are right on this though I still checked switch for my own info.
I checked the switch with a rubber tipped air gun. I didn't hold it very tight to
switch, didn't want to risk possible damage. I could here switch click and VM
showed no resistance. I'll specify check for leak when I have it charged.
Thanks all for response.
George

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 14

robertoh

Robertoh
Reaction score
Switch

MIDNIGHT RIDER said:
Is there any way to check the pressure-switch on my A/C??

When I turn on the A/C, the clutch will not click in.

I can unplug the wires at the pressure-switch, jump across the plug, and the clutch will click.

I may have caused a leak in the system when changing engines; or, hopefully, the pressure-switch has gone bad.

I have searched NAPA and ADVANCE for a part number for the switch and had no success.

Does anyone know a part number/price for the switch??

Thanks.
Rider---suspect you dont have any freon left in your system :confused: -- did your cool work :thumbsup: before before the power swap? if so then I think you got an empty A/C system:sorry:-;means check for leak--fix it--evaquate system--Recharge+drive it-- can you get somebody to put gauges on system? If you got pressure then its your switch ;Sweet -if not weeeeeel you know what:sorry:hope this helps :peelout bccanuk

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
robertoh said:
Rider---suspect you dont have any freon left in your system :confused: -- did your cool work :thumbsup: before before the power swap? if so then I think you got an empty A/C system:sorry:-;means check for leak--fix it--evaquate system--Recharge+drive it-- can you get somebody to put gauges on system? If you got pressure then its your switch ;Sweet -if not weeeeeel you know what:sorry:hope this helps :peelout bccanuk

You didn't read the rest of the story.

Plenty of gas in system, just some black crud gathered in the switch.

Cleaned out the gunk and all is fine.

Thanks.

LUCKY_LARUE60

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't figure out how he was able to pull the switch and not lose any refrigerant freon/134 ???????????????

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online