'99 SD

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what size tires should i get? i have 235s on there now. i'm thinking 285s would be good and not break the bank too bad. i have 265s on the IDI and think maybe a little bigger for the SD would look good. but i dont want to trash my milage too bad.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Rob my new one has 285/75/16 They are 1 1/8 taller than the 235/85/16. Bigger is always better :Sly Except when trying to get enough bed rail to 5er clearance -cuss

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
from what i'm reading 285 is about the cutoff before milage starts sucking.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
285's will work well, much nore than that and you will have problems with "lock to lock" steering or bumper clearance. But you can stuff 315's under it too. :D

Ggg

Reaction score
The 265/75 will give the best fuel mileage. The 285/75 is not much worse but the larger the tire the worse the mileage gets. I do agree the 265's do look a little puny.

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
Rob, just put a set of 35 under it . mileage will be ok.
JK I had 235s, and 265 s on my 00 and havent seen a difference, never had 285,s on it but that is what i wouyld go with

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
what's the scoop on torque convertors? i need to get one sooner than later. is the ford replacement any good or will it just end up rattling again? cant afford the expensive upgrades right now.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 4R100 is a decent convertor, the 5R will fit but it takes a little modifying to do it. There are other TC's aftermarket that you DONT have to spend alot of money on that are better than both the 4R and 5R.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
went under the truck tonight and found the water pump leaking from the weep hole. how hard are these pumps to change?

no other leaks though, just a lot of fine MI sand and a few flakes of rust that need attention.

Nick i'll be in touch about this torque converter thing.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
i wonder if i can make it to Indianapolis and back this weekend before i change the WP.

what's special about the fan? any special tools needed?

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the only thing about the fans is they are TIGHT and they have speacial tools to hold the pully while you take the nut loose while others use a hammer and chisel or air chisel to beat the fan loose what ever you prefer and can get to work though

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
93turbo_animal said:
the only thing about the fans is they are TIGHT and they have speacial tools to hold the pully while you take the nut loose while others use a hammer and chisel or air chisel to beat the fan loose what ever you prefer and can get to work though

If I remember correctly (at least on my 87 - 6.9), they are left hand thread as well. The guys that did the water pump on my truck not only didn't keep the bolts in the right order and ruined the IP, they used an impact wrench and about a week after getting it running, I noticed a distinct fan wobble. I thought maybe it was loose or something and when I put the wrench on to tighten it (I had the correct tools) the nose broke off the front of the pump. Looked like there was about 1/2 of an inch of thin metal holding it on. Needless to say, I put a new water pump on it and a different fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance