99 PSD bucking like a bronco

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
Ok 99 F250 PSD 4wd 6 spd. out of nowhere usually in 4th or 5th gear will start bucking like mad. If I push the clutch in it will die and take forever to start back up. If I down shift and stay on the pedal it will continue for about 30-45 seconds and quit. Basically it is jumping in rpms 4-500 up and down.

The truck has only done this a few times and usually only once and doesnt do it again for about a month.
Well it left me stranded on the side of the road the other night. Put 5 gallons of fuel in it, shot of ether down the throat and it fired up. Gas guage was reading 1/4 tank so it wasnt out of fuel.
Continued onto my freinds house for the UFC PPV.
Today driving home from work doen it again. Stayed into the pedal and it stopped.
It done this once before and I got to the Auto Zone(God I hate that Place) to use there code reader. Well it said it had no codes even though the CEl was on.
I have absolutely no idea what is causing it. Ive only had the truck since April and really havent had to do anything to it other than oil changes. Which was just changed about 3500 miles ago. The fuel filter was changed as well.

scheid6996

scheid6996
Reaction score
well the reader at auto zone should have read something, are u sure your port OBD port it working, check the fuse, its also the same fuse as the lighter, i think its #12 or something

Reaction score
First off Ether Is bad news, If you spray it and the glows plugs ignite it, it could be VERY bad. Second I dont think the AutoZone type reader will work on a PSD. Third it could be the Cam Position sensor (CPS) going bad but it would be better if you can find someone with the right scanner to read the code.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the autozone code reader will not work on a PSD truck.as said you will need to find somebody with the correct code reader,or go to a repair shop and have the codes read.if you lived closer o me i would do it for free for ya.but to find somebody with the right code reader you might have better luck on our sister site www.superdutydiesel.com .have you ever replaced the cps?dont buy it from ford,get it at an international dealer,ford is twice the price of international.can get them even cheaper from powerstrokeshop.com or Ebay.

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
Im good freinds with the Local Votech Auto teacher Ill throw it on the schools Snap on machine. Bonus is he is a former Ford mechanic.
No I havent replaced the CPS. As far as I can tell it still has the originial one in it. Hell the ball joints look stock. ALthough I already have a set on the shelf waiting to be replaced.
Thanks for the tips so far.

Ill look into the gas tank. I do believe it usually happens when the tank is not full. I know it used to do it mainly on rainy days also. Its weird and has been driving me crazy.

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dont think the 99-up trucks have that stupid rubber foot thingy,but i could be wrong

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
they still have it just about the same as the early ones, found more than one floatin in the tank.

now the rainy day thing pionts to a possible cps.
had one that shut off only when hooking to trailer, or when raining.
cps was the problem

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
I found a International dealer nearby. Im going to try and get over there and get a new CPS.
Thaks for the help.

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
Well I forgot to mention it happened pulling into the house today after a very long 12 hour night shift.
I was to tires to fool with it so I went to bed instead.
I just got back from getting 5 gallons of diesel and the truck fired right up after I put it in.
The fuel light came on right when I pulled onto my street. SO I guess I may have a pickup problem.

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
Well its not the pickup in the tank. I filled it all the way up and it did it on the way to work.

It feels almost as if it is defueling. It just keeps chugging wanting to die. If I push the clutch in it dies but if I downshift real quick and keep the RPMs up it eventually throws a code and quits.

Im going in the morning to put it on the scanner. Then Im going to run by the international dealer and pickup a CPS.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let us know what code it is.................

CJ7 Hauler

Reaction score
Will do.
I have to take it to the stearlership. My buddies machine doesnt have the latest upgrades to read Diesel codes. So looks like I get to pay the dealer to do it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online