96 PSD, no power, won't break 40 mph.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Friend of mine called me in for some help on his 96 F250(PSD/E4OD/4x4) last week, first it started out with this no power problem, then he changed the fuel filter and it died completley, fuel heater shorted out...
Got the fuel heater figured out, and got it up and running again, but, didn't get to road test it, he just called me to confirm that it still had issues.
When I hook my code reader to it, I get an all clear, but, it kills the engine when the code reader connects? I'm not quite sure what is going on there.
I'm going to take another look at it in the morning. From looking at it the other day, the EBPV is free, it doesn't make any smoke, turbo seems to be fine. T
ruck is 100% bone stock, and doesn't have guages. I may stick the boost guage off of my 6.9 on there for testing.
Truck has around 180K miles, and it's been having issues with not engaging O/D latley, it does it off and on, but, doesn't have any transmission problems, it seems to be an electrical issue.
Anyone got any ideas? He has an identical 96, 5 speed truck we can use as a source of known good parts.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What kind of code reader are you using? I've always read codes key on engine off.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get a liquid filled gauge screwed into the port where the schrader valve is and check his fuel pressure. Fuel pukp might be shot. At idle he should have at least 40 lbs and it will drop as he punches the go pedal. Optimum is 75 lbs for the gen I PSD's at idle and 40 or so at WOT.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, this was an all of a sudden sort of thing, was fine the night before when he drove home, started on his way back into town Wednesday morning, and got to where it's at in a hurry.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
If the reader is giving problems, check for power/blown fuse at the cig lighter....this also powers up the OBD port........

JLDickmon

Bo Duke
Reaction score
code readers generally don't get connected with the engine running.. you KOEO them untill they establish a com link, THEN run a KOEO code scan or KOER data..

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had an issue connecti8ng it to a gasser with it running... Oh well...
I need to upgrade to a proper scan tool so I can do all the KOEO and KOER tests, I haven't worked on OBD-II stuff in quite a while, but, I miss being able to do all the testing like I can with my old Snap On scanner for the OBD-1 stuff.
Anyhow, off to look at it in 10 minutes here, I will report back later

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Time to let the cat out of the bag eh?

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, let the cat out of the bag, and what do you know, it got itself killed... LOL
I was really surprised at how little power that 7.3 has compared to my 6.9, and what I remember of my SD, but, it's bone stock, auto, and that horrible DP can't help anything... LOL. Today was the first time I drove an OBS PSD

BTW, I have LOTS of respect for those of you who have wrestled a 3" or3.5" DP in there, that looks like a nightmare...

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DP isnt that hard, half an afternoon worth of work, a full tank of ambition also. Stock the 1st gen PSD wasnt impressive, but it was still more than the IDI stock.

82F100SWB

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the entire banks setup on my 6.9 in about 6 hours... LOL That downpipe would probably take at least half of that from what I saw today... LOL
I do agree that a stock psd would walk over a stock IDI, but, that is why I don't drive a stock IDI... LOL