96 cummins

jperzichilli17

Reaction score
whats going on eveybody, i have a 96 dodge cummins, it has 145,000 miles on it and im havin a problem with it running. my second battery went bad on me over summer and it didnt have an effect on my truck untill winter hit, i replaced both batteries and everything was fine untill one day i went to go start it and it wouldnt start, so i was checkin everything out and i found the fuel shut off cylonide burned up on me, so i replaced that and it fired up and ran for a week, now im havin a problem with it not runnin unless u have your foot on the gas and keepin the rpm around 2000, if i let off it dies and is hard startin. please someone help me out here im frustrated with it right now.

thanks alot joe

megaram

Megaram
Reaction score
Hard Start?

What is the temperature? When cold, they will have to warm up a bit to stay running.;Really

jperzichilli17

Reaction score
yea i know that, the truck will be at operating temp and still not be gettin any fuel, when it ran for that week i would start it up and let warm 10 15 min and it would atart starvin itself for fuel and i would have t keep the motor around 2000 rpm to keep it runnin otherwise it would die

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
is the fuel filter clean? I know it's a simple question but you never know. I've had problems like you describe and my filter was plugged.

jperzichilli17

Reaction score
cummins

k i will try that, i changed it when i started runnin blended fuel in it, is it a common thing for the lift pump to go out on those trucks.

58_Dodge

Proud hater of Ford
Reaction score
k i will try that, i changed it when i started runnin blended fuel in it, is it a common thing for the lift pump to go out on those trucks.

That could be it right there. Maybe you got a bad batch of fuel? We got a 6.5 Chevy that comes into work that runs on a blend and its always going through fuel filters. Also, if its cold maybe the fuel geled up? I know veggy oil and bio diesel gel up at higher temps then straight diesel.

Lift pumps are mechanical on the back of the motor. They don't usually go bad. The 24 valve trucks have lift pump problems.

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
The lift pumps are known to fail, not a big thing to change....Most of them show about 14psi at the pump and about 5psi after the filter....I would watch what you use for filters, Cummins engines tend to be fussy on the fuel side and they seem to run better with Fleetguard filters on them....Just my experience....N14's really hate non FG filters in cold weather.

Mighty Dodge

Reaction score
Lift pump issues were with the 24 valve engines. Replace the filter. Also check the fuel return line, they're know to fail and suck air.

Mighty Dodge

ramjim

Reaction score
Check the fuel line hose behind the block mine had a big kink in it and ran better when i took it out sometimes they rot out too and suck air also