'95 F250 w/ E40d problems

RJMorrow

Reaction score
I am looking for a little expert advice here. My 95 F250 psd trans is starting to give me trouble. It is the E40D there is 300,000 miles on the truck, not sure about the trans. I find it will go into limp mode on random occasions. I undertstand bad sensors can be one source of this problem but I have good speedometer and tach readings so far. I have not performed any trany service since buying the truck two years ago but i wanted to get some insight first.

Also, the truck has occasionally (maybe 4 times) hemmoraged atf from the front region. I did not crawl under at this time, but from what i have read, busing or front pump seal ?? I have not seen a direct connection between the fluid leak and limp mode either.

I understand limp mode should store a code ? And if so, what is the best method for retrieval ? Any help/experince would be great.

TIA,
RJMorrow

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When it goes into what you are calling limp mode is the OD light flashing? If so you need to get an OBD II reader and pull the codes, it'll tell you whats wrong.

When you have had the puking events was the tranny hot from a hard pull or something?

RJMorrow

Reaction score
Yes, by limp mode I meant OD light flashing on the shifter. Will any OBDII code scanner work with this truck? I havent been able to get a straight answer on what will or will not work on this year/vehicle.

Thanks

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, not just any OBD II will work. If you go to autozone and have them scan it with their "free" scanner it wont work.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Youn have to have a scanner (code reader) such as Autoenginuity W/Ford enhanced program.
As Mike said, these trucks are NOT OBDII compliant, therefore they cannot be read by an OBDII scanner.

A bad VSS (Variable Speed Sensor) mounted on the rear diff will cause it to go into a limp mode.
Take it out and clean it may help.
In limp mode you only have 1st and reverse, even when shifted into 2nd manually.
The OTS (Over Temp. Sensor) in the tranny may cause this also.

A hot tranny that pukes fluid is prolly coming from the pump seal. It's a teflon seal and kind of melts when real hot. How is your fluid level ? Only check HOT IN PARK, an overfilled tranny will run HOT.
Overfilling will cause the fluid to become aireated, causing the pump to try and pump air, also the fluid to the rad cooler is filled with air and the return fluid is used only for lubrication, not hydraulic use.

The TC (Torque Convertor) doesn't like aireated fluid,, that will create heat.

Is that a Hit-Miss engine in your profile pic? Looks like one.

Please put you truck info in your signature, helps to not have to refer back to your post header.

Last edited:

RJMorrow

Reaction score
Thanks old bull. No I missed the part where mike said it wasnt OBDII? Anyways, the fluid level looks good. I was looking to pull the VSS and maybe change if they are reasonable. So basically I am stuck buying the high $ scan tool I guess. Do they sell a good module unit that works in conjunction with a laptop ?

The profile pic is an original diesel engine. I will look into the signature thing, havent done before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online