95 Dt466

Bean

Reaction score
My Mac Tool man has a 95 with a 466 and wants some more bottome end out of it. The way he described it its like he's got some bad turbo lag, liek he need some more off idle fuel to light the turbo quicker.

So whats an easy mod? Can a cam plate be done like a Cummins? Maby a injector change? Give me some ideas and a direction to go for parts.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
Bean said:
My Mac Tool man has a 95 with a 466 and wants some more bottome end out of it. The way he described it its like he's got some bad turbo lag, liek he need some more off idle fuel to light the turbo quicker.

So whats an easy mod? Can a cam plate be done like a Cummins? Maby a injector change? Give me some ideas and a direction to go for parts.

The easiest is to grind the stock plate down flat, if sliding the stock one forward wasn't enough. I just put my home made #0 plate from my dodge in the work truck & gained some nice power all the way around, mostly a better lower end. When putting the AFC housing back on, install it close to full forward. and spin the star wheel so it's in the forward part of the access hole. All that should bump it about 60hp. Same install and adjustments as the Dodges. Scheids has extrude honed and EDM injectors as well. He can have a 600hp DT very easily.

That's(in my opinion) THE best few years to have a DT466. Pump is nicely located, power potential is the greatest, and swappability with 6BT cummins parts. :hail :hail Hail to your SnapOn guy LOL .

Attachments

• dodgefuelplate.jpg
    dodgefuelplate.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Bean

Reaction score
Thats awesome, I thought that pump looked like a Bosch like on the 5.9's. I have still yet to do much with 5.9's but it cant be hard, havnet gotten to do a cam plate yet even.

I will move it forward for him and see if he likes that, if he wants more I will grind it for him. Any tips on grinding it?

Duke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder why he has that problem in the first place, though.
Lag on bottom end is not a problem with a DT466.
What power level is it?

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
My only grinding advise is to make a line from the top and go straight down. Make it a square brick. Full forward alone was a good 50hp on mine. Note to Duke, these years seem to be real light on the fuel on a stock truck. I've driven several, & they are weak as Bean says. It won't be after he gets done with it.

Bean

Reaction score
He says the power is fine with him once it gets goin its just the take off power is low, pushes teh throttle and it takes a bit before it gets enough power to take off.

One plate slide comin up.

nevrenufhp

torque ******
Reaction score
And forgot to mention to adjust the star wheel (rotate so the top is going towards the engine & it takes a good 30-50 "clicks")and set the AFC housing almost full forward too.

Any progress report?

Last edited:

Bean

Reaction score
nevrenufhp said:
And forgot to mention to adjust the star wheel (rotate so the top is going towards the engine & it takes a good 30-50 "clicks")and set the AFC housing almost full forward too.

Any progress report?

I just slid the plate and he he thrilled, picked up almost 10mph on his nemises hill. I only slid the plate until I get him a couple gauges in it then I will mess with it some more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online